Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Usually when I plug my macbok into an external monitor both displays show the same thing. However when I just plugged my macbook into the display whilst it was on sleep then woke it up the external display came on but nothing would wake the screen on the macbook. Even when I went into the displays option it did not have the usual "arrangement" tab. It only started working again when I restarted the macbook.

Is this usual behaviour or is it acting weird?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
when you plug in the display while the MacBook is awake you can have either mirror mode or extended display. press F7 to switch between the two.

when you plug in the display while the MacBook is asleep and wake it up this is clamshell mode. the MacBook screen doesnt turn on until you disconnect the display or click "Detect Displays" in Display preferences.

anmoldagreat

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
seattle
when you plug in the display while the MacBook is awake you can have either mirror mode or extended display. press F7 to switch between the two.

when you plug in the display while the MacBook is asleep and wake it up this is clamshell mode. the MacBook screen doesnt turn on until you disconnect the display or click "Detect Displays" in Display preferences.

bingo

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
That's exactly what I did but the macbook was not in clamshell mode, the screen was up :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.