Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
I've played The Sims 2 on a PC with all the settings on high but how does the Macbook cope?
I'm not terrribly worried about gaming but the integrated graphics boost is the one thing in the new Santa Rosa specs that would interest me enough to wait even longer.

Also, did they ever fix the fuzzy iTunes scrollbar?

EDIT: Did the premium for the black Macbook go up?
The difference is £70 now, or am I missing something?

MissMac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
I also love The Sims 2 and I would like to know how well it would run on a Mac. I have a pretty good Fitijusu Siemens Amilo laptop. Does anyone run the Sims 2 on a :apple: Macbook:apple: ??? How does it run?! :p

Jan 30, 2006
It runs OK. Just OK.

Just don't try to get a lot of sims together in a massive woo-hoo because then it well get slow.:p

Jan 30, 2006
Who would do that?!?! ;)

So does it not run fantastic? What are your specs? Are you running it with any expansion packs?

It is not fantastic, but it is acceptable. You won't be able to have the graphics at top performance, but nothing to really be afraid of. I haven't tried any expansion pack so far, but I guess it would be the same.

I have a Core Duo Black MB, with 1.25 GB of RAM.

And I played it trough boot-camp. I've read that games play better in XP than OS X.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Keep the resolution low?
Can it not run at the Macbook's native resolution?

Would it be silly to wait for the X3100? :/
Although gaming is a very large concern, it's a bit sad that you have to keep settings so low on such a game.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Keep the resolution low?
Can it not run at the Macbook's native resolution?

Would it be silly to wait for the X3100? :/
Although gaming is a very large concern, it's a bit sad that you have to keep settings so low on such a game.
I can run Sims 2 at the MacBook's full resolution with everything high on my iMac's ATi X1600. (Then again it's an iMac.) It might be a good idea to wait for an update on the MacBook.

I'll try to get Sims 2: Pets but I'm strapped for cash. I want to see how much better the multi-threaded OpenGL is.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
I've tried the X1800 with a 1.83Ghz Core Duo and it can run full blast but obviously, it's not worth the comparison because even the X3100 can't touch the X1600. :/
Funny thing is, Apple just posted a report on their game page about the new Macbooks.

I'm really going to have to decide whether portability is worth sacrificing for a capable graphics card or not.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've tried the X1800 with a 1.83Ghz Core Duo and it can run full blast but obviously, it's not worth the comparison because even the X3100 can't touch the X1600. :/
Funny thing is, Apple just posted a report on their game page about the new Macbooks.

I'm really going to have to decide whether portability is worth sacrificing for a capable graphics card or not.
Sims Life Stories is designed for play on laptops and integrated graphics.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Sims Life Stories is designed for play on laptops and integrated graphics.

Ha, I was just talking to someone about that a couple of days ago who was interested in it even though they had The Sims 2 which ran without a hitch on their machine.
I described it along the lines of "The Sims 2 for weak computers". :(

Thanks for all your input in this. I'll know hopefully what I'll be getting in just under a month

I tried convincing myself that the GMA is better than I initially thought but although it sounds great for 2D work, I've waited this long and would like something more solid in case the fancy takes me.
I've seen games like Half-Life 2 and Warhammer look stunning on the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.