Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoot87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I was using iSquint and even with my fan at 6200rpm+ the temperature went up to 198 degrees. Whats the hottest temperature that the macbook can get until its unsafe for the computer? Thanks

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
^^ That's air temperature and has little to do with CPU temperature. 198°F ≈ 92°C is high, but not unprecedented when doing CPU intensive work (encoding, gaming, etc). It would probably be damaging to the computer (and eventually the surroundings, like desk and/or knees) if it stayed at almost 200°F, but that's what the fans are for, really... and I guess you don't run iSquint 24/7, right...? ;)

Rube

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
CPUs are generally rated for 60-65 C as their maximum temperatures. I have a feeling that either the sensor is miscalibrated, or your laptop isn't going to last very long. Yes, heat kills CPUs.;)

Scoot87, to answer your question, 60-65 C, or, 149 F. I would look into your problem.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
The "Thermal Shutdown" of the CPU is 100C (212F... water boiling point). That is... The CPU will throttle itself down below 600MHz until the temp drops to an acceptable range. Yes, you can get the CPU to 100C and keep it there without damaging it. And allowing the CPU to hit this temp is not a design flaw. The notebook is designed to take that heat.

Now, if you choose to run an app that is either poorly written, or designed to run both cores at 100%, that is your choice. When you do this, I would recommend taking action to prevent damages.... to yourself.

The documentation does in fact warn you that these temps are possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.