Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I was doing some stuff in handbrake, looked at istat, cpu was at 97c :eek: Is it reading wrong or is that way to hot. I know they do get hot, found a post on here in which someone at the genius bar said they get upto 90c on full load, but 97 :confused:

lfc200

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2007
Cork, Ireland
i would be surprised if your macbook was at that temperature. If it was that hot you would not be able to touch it. Its probably just a faulty temperature sensor but I could be wrong.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
i would be surprised if your macbook was at that temperature. If it was that hot you would not be able to touch it. Its probably just a faulty temperature sensor but I could be wrong.
Wrong. The temperature reported is that of the core of the CPU, not the outside casing. The machine would probably be uncomortably hot at the back, but not untouchable. 97c is actually within the operating range of the C2D, but a tad high for comfort. It might be a faulty sensor, it might be dust clogging the fan/heatsink veins, whatever. If it melts take it back for a refund.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
Wrong. The temperature reported is that of the core of the CPU, not the outside casing. The machine would probably be uncomortably hot at the back, but not untouchable. 97c is actually within the operating range of the C2D, but a tad high for comfort. It might be a faulty sensor, it might be dust clogging the fan/heatsink veins, whatever. If it melts take it back for a refund.

Hit it right on the dot. When you look at the temperature in istat see if it's the cpu or if it says case enclosure and then start worrying about the 97c.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
My MacBook 2.2GHz has never been above 75 degrees centigrade.

Just out of interest, were you using the MacBook on a desk, your lap, or something else?

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
My MacBook 2.2GHz has never been above 75 degrees centigrade.

Just out of interest, were you using the MacBook on a desk, your lap, or something else?

My 2.2 macbook will get up to 90*C easily when the cpu is at 100%. Usually only happens when doing video encoding.

With basic tasks such as internet, email and music, it's normally around 45-50*.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.