Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I have 2008 Macbook which has started shutting down the backlight randomly. The light does not seem to flicker, it just shuts down suddenly. If I turn the brightness to minimum and then up the light usually comes back, sometimes only for a brief moment, sometimes for a longer time. Tilting the display does not always shut off the light.

Does it sound like a cable, inverter or the backlight itself?

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
It seems like there is bad connection somewhere, on the display itself? I currently have the Macbook somewhat disassembled and now when the LCD is detached from the display element it seems to work just fine when maximum brightness is enabled. It has been running fine for some time now.

When the machine was fully assembled, I did notice that if I flex the screen sideways just a little the light goes off immediately. Something is loose.

un1w.jpg

Curtis 92

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
I have the exact problem the lower i put the brightness the longer the backlight stays on for

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I have the exact problem the lower i put the brightness the longer the backlight stays on for

Have you tried flexing the display sideways? For me it shuts off the light immediately, no matter what setting.

yassi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Have you tried flexing the display sideways? For me it shuts off the light immediately, no matter what setting.

I also have the same issue.
Already replaced the inverter, but I don't want to invest to much to repair it.

Yassi

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I also have the same issue.
Already replaced the inverter, but I don't want to invest to much to repair it.

Yassi

I think atleast in my case it is problem inside the LCD itself, I have newer replace the actual backlight so I'm bit unsure how disassemble the LCD. It might be that there is a bad connection which can be soldered back.

Easiest solution would be to just buy spare machine or LCD and swap it.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Well, today I finally replaced backlight.

This was my first repair of this kind and I'm not too eager to do such repair again. Most of the difficulty was because I had no 100% clear idea how the backlight is installed inside, also the other wire was quite long and it was difficult to tuck it away while installing the panel back to the plastic and then installing the bezel. I also forgot to install that one metallic plate which I suppose is meant to prevent the light from bleeding. I had to do some creative taping and I managed to "fix" most of light bleed, of course the bleed can only be seen when it's dark. Some of those plastic things which hold the bezel are in bad shape so it's not perfectly in place, I might glue it or something.

But most importantly problems seem to be gone and the machine is usable again. If all is ok I will still sell this because it has caused me too much problems, I have replaced this and that while my Fujitsu from the same era just keeps going :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.