Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polygonkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Just got my MacBook ( 2.4gh - 2G memory and 160g HD ) last week - the battery lasts about 4 hrs is this normal. I ask cause my friend got his and his battery lasts about 5 hrs. BTW I was just surfing the web - I wasn't playing any DVDs and I had the WiFi off - I was connected to the net with the ethernet cable.

polygonkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
i would say anywhere form 4 to 5, but 5 is really high. i usually get around 4 when im doing some stuff

Thanks - Also when I go to the "Apple" at the top - left and then go to "About this Mac" and then goto "More Info" and goto "Power" where it says Battery - Health it says "Good" shouldn't say "Excellent" cause the computer is new (1 week old). Sorry for the newb ?s

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
Thanks - Also when I go to the "Apple" at the top - left and then go to "About this Mac" and then goto "More Info" and goto "Power" where it says Battery - Health it says "Good" shouldn't say "Excellent" cause the computer is new (1 week old). Sorry for the newb ?s
"good" is the highest condition the battery can be rated.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Your battery time seems OK, however I'll recommend iStat pro for monitoring not only your battery health and stats but also other important system information. I attached a snapshot of what iStat pro says on my 1yr 4months old BlackBook.

Victor

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 234

topher2889

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2007
Wisconsin
my battery usually lasts around 4ish hours with brightness set pretty high and wifi on. Don't pay too much attention to battery health on istat or coconut battery. Mine is often at 100% but sometimes will randomly fluctuate to the 90's then go back up. I used to stress over it but its just not worth it:cool:

Enjoy your MB don't sweat the small stuff

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Did you condition the battery yet? You need to do this if not. Use the machine normally, but ignore the low battery warnings, just hit OK and keep computing until it totally runs out of juice and goes "dead" (it's not really dead). Then plug it in and leave it plugged in overnight. Don't unplug it for several hours. It needs to fully discharge and fully recharge without interruption. IIRC, Apple recommends you just leave the lid closed while it's recharging this way for the first time. Next day (or whatever), use it as you normally would, being sure to give it a full discharge and recharge at least 1x a month.

You'll also get a longer runtime if you dim your display, turn off BT, etc. Might want to check your Apple Menu--Sys Prefs-->Energy Saver and make sure the box for "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" is checked.

w.t.f

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
Yeah, 4-5 seems about what I get from this thing, and I've got the same model as you do. If you want longer, then turn airport and stuff off.. turn the brightness down, ect. I'm content with that time.

polygonkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah, 4-5 seems about what I get from this thing, and I've got the same model as you do. If you want longer, then turn airport and stuff off.. turn the brightness down, ect. I'm content with that time.

Thanks guys - also I just noticed when I turned on my Mac today a little green light is on (next to camera) - what is this light.

TygerMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
New Hampshire
I got my new MacBook and I get about 4 hours to a battery charge. I have always let me new Mac charge fully, then pull the plug and use it normally until the battery is "dead", then plug it in again. Just to make sure it gets a full discharge and charge.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
how do I get to photo booth

It should be in your dock as default, if not, its in your Applications folder. Make sure to quit such app, not only hitting the red 'x' at the top (just in case the iSight continuos to be on) Also, have you by any chance downloaded the widget "Mirror"? My mom downloaded it in her MB and the green light was on 24/7, if not don't even bother to check it out, it sucks hehe

Victor

polygonkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
It should be in your dock as default, if not, its in your Applications folder. Make sure to quit such app, not only hitting the red 'x' at the top (just in case the iSight continuos to be on) Also, have you by any chance downloaded the widget "Mirror"? My mom downloaded it in her MB and the green light was on 24/7, if not don't even bother to check it out, it sucks hehe

Victor

I didn't download that widget -I got to photo booth and the screen for PB was black - I restarted the Mac and the light is still on - it didn't even go off when I restarted the mac

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
I didn't download that widget -I got to photo booth and the screen for PB was black - I restarted the Mac and the light is still on - it didn't even go off when I restarted the mac

Hmm this is odd, open Activity Monitor and take a look what apps are running. (App folder>Utilities>Activity monitor or search it in spotlight) Do you have any app that launches at login? check it in System Preferences under Accounts>Login Items.

Victor

polygonkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Hmm this is odd, open Activity Monitor and take a look what apps are running. (App folder>Utilities>Activity monitor or search it in spotlight) Do you have any app that launches at login? check it in System Preferences under Accounts>Login Items.

Victor
The only thing that started is Itunes helper - I think I have to call Apple tomorrow

polygonkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Certainly odd, you better phone them or ask for more help here; resetting the PRAM (Command+ctrl+R+P at startup until you hear 3 chimes) is the only thing I could suggest.

Victor
I just turned the Mac off for a few min. and now it seems to be OK - thank you for all your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.