Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsquid99

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
I can confirm this too. I got my new 2.4GHz Blackbook the day they were released and under heavy use I have yet to feel the need to wipe it down. It hardly has any fingerprint marks on it at all. :)

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
This is good news MBB fans! The two I had were fingerprint magnets. It wasn't really bad until I was in fairly heavy duty business meetings and it made the MB look, lets say, "cheap."

The Magic Eraser in a ziplock baggy was my bestest friend...

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
The blackbook scratches but not nearly as easy as the polycarbonite gloss coating of the white. The scratches don't show up as much either.

Well. im going to check this out at a Apple store if true ill pick myself up a blackbook. im willing to pay the black tax

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I received mine this morning, which was a shock as delivery was expected Friday. I have not opened it yet, but will update when I do.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I received mine yesterday and I see fingerprints on the top part of the Blackbook. I don't know if the problem is less now, since this is my very first Blackbook. I had White Macbooks so far and I am not so sure which color I like better. I mean, the plastic that the blackbook uses, is much better than the Macbook's, but I like the keyboard white better. I am not saying that the Blackbook doesn't look good, just not as good as the white...

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
TUD, can you take pics? I'm curious to see if this fingerprinting issue has actually been solved

Got mine this morning. Definitely less susceptible to fingerprints. Never going to be able to stop it altogether... especially on something that's black.

Different plastic then... feels nice though. Trackpad is definitely different than my Core Duo 2.0 blackbook too.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Sorry... I have not had the time to open it and take some pics.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Got mine this morning. Definitely less susceptible to fingerprints. Never going to be able to stop it altogether... especially on something that's black.

Different plastic then... feels nice though. Trackpad is definitely different than my Core Duo 2.0 blackbook too.

Good to here, same plastic, the old blackbook were painted black, on the new ones, the plastic IS black, so maybe thats it. I'm stuck white vs black, black is sexy, matches my imac, fingerprint, and worn-prone trackpad. White picks up dirt, kinda matches my imac, isnt so sexy, but nice, and can get scratches more easily, so im stuck.

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
This is good to hear about the black plastic on the new black MacBook, because I just ordered one about an hour ago. :) I know what you guys are talking about regarding fingerprints on the older black MacBooks, since my wife has one and I have to wipe it down for her to keep it looking nice. :)

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
I dunno what the prices of RAM are over there, but here I can upgrade to 4gb RAM for the same price as the black tax, something to take into consideration :)

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2006
Visited the Apple store in Tampa International this evening... Black Macbook 2.4ghz was on display, and IMO, it looked nearly as oily as the previous 2.2ghz they had on display.

The keys and touchpad seemed to be less considerably less oily than the old one, but that one had to have been out for 4+ months or so (I would assume - from the last update) while this one was put out a week or two ago.

I took a look at the palm rests and the casing, there were still very noticeable fingerprints. Perhaps the fixed the problem to a degree, but I think it can still happen.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
I took a look at the palm rests and the casing, there were still very noticeable fingerprints. Perhaps the fixed the problem to a degree, but I think it can still happen.

I think that until a material is invented that is impervious to fingerprints you're always going to have an issue.

This is the real world. I could pick up a glass in my kitchen and I'd see a fingerprint on it. It happens. Shows up particularly on black surfaces too.

I've been using my new Macbook for a few days now and yes I can see the odd smudge here and there but it is NOWHERE near as bad as my old core duo Macbook.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Probably won't find out if the new ones have the same severity until a couple of months of use I guess.

In the meantime though the shiny plastic on the keyboards - not from wear but the material that it's made with - is the killer for me. It feels more uncomfortable to type on and lessens the impact by having two tones of black. Personal opinion of course, I'm still yet to make a decision but leaning towards white.

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Just came back from the Apple store.

Definitely improved casing on the new Blackbooks. I used to rub my fingers on the older ones to test and it immediately showed. But the newer ones didn't show as much fingerprints.

It still shows the normal smudges a black surface would encounter. But i must say I'm impressed that it doesn't show as much.

Overall, I'm now ready to go for the new Blackbook in a few months time. :D

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
That is a white-only problem I think.

My white C2D got a nasty scratch on the lower right of the screen bezel seemingly out of the blue. I think the BlackBook looks like a Fuji PC in certain lights.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Opened mine this morning & honestly I can not tell a difference in the case. It came from China with free finger prints & smudges. :rolleyes:

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Opened mine this morning & honestly I can not tell a difference in the case. It came from China with free finger prints & smudges. :rolleyes:

Really? Wow. Maybe they just made some out of the old material just for you? :rolleyes:

Maybe this is the same as the SR Blackbook then but without a doubt, after a side by side comparison, this new blackbook is TONS better at hiding prints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.