Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VictorianAntiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
After an unsuccessful attempt at resetting PRAM every time I turn the brightness completely down after about 15 - 20 minutes it'll move up once space. It's the most annoying thing ever! I've tried several more times to reset PRAM but I never get to the second chime, which actually brings me to another problem I've been having. I think that I can't get to the second chime because my computer won't restart properly. This has been happening for a little while now. I'll try and restart my computer but it doesn't even shut down completely and I'll have to force it. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Do you have the option "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" enabled in Display preferences? As far as being unable to reset PRAM, could there be a firmware password set on the system? Try booting holding the option key, if a lock icon and a password field appear, you have a firmware password on the system. It will ignore startup key combinations as long as one is in place. Not sure about the shut down issue, but it may be due to some background scripts that run when the system is preparing to shut down.

VictorianAntiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply~ I just disabled the "automatically adjust display" option and there has not been any change. Also, the firmware password, would that disable "C" for booting up to a CD and all of those commands? Because I can very well do those, I booted up to safe mode the day before yesterday and I booted up to my installation disc yesterday. But I'll try anyway. And as far as the scripts go, is there anything I can do to fix that? I've had my mb for a while now but I never learned about all that stuff. :confused:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Does "there has not been any change" mean that was the fix or that its still doing what had happened before? A firmware password would disable all but accessing the startup manager, so if you can safe boot, one isn't configured. In terms of scripts and processes in the background, were you able to shut down the computer without having to hold the power button? If so, I would start looking in your login items (in Accounts preferences), /Library/StartupItems, /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons for anything you don't think belongs.

VictorianAntiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks you guys, I'm not sure exactly what I did, but it's fixed! I guess maybe the PRAM reset did work? I'm don't know but I just went and toggled a few settings and without even noticing my screen hadn't been coming back on. :) Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.