Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cireual510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
I feel like this always happens. But every time I update to the most recent OS for the macbook, my macbook is unable to recognize my external HD. So my only choice is to go on my brother's windows computer and transfer all of my files and then reformat the whole HD so that my macbook can read it again. I wonder if anyone knows any better process of doing this because it sucks when I have to repeat this step especially when I have all of my videos and photos that I edit in my external HD. Thanks!

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I feel like this always happens. But every time I update to the most recent OS for the macbook, my macbook is unable to recognize my external HD. So my only choice is to go on my brother's windows computer and transfer all of my files and then reformat the whole HD so that my macbook can read it again. I wonder if anyone knows any better process of doing this because it sucks when I have to repeat this step especially when I have all of my videos and photos that I edit in my external HD. Thanks!

Try a PRAM reset.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.