Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
What is involved in using the macbook as a setup with an external monitor, mouse and keyboard? I want to be able to switch it out easily and take it with me but use it with the externals at home.

any advice would be appreciated..

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Just plug in your monitor, keyboard, and mouse when you want to use them, unplug them when you dont.

By clamshell Im assuming you mean that your macbook will be closed when hooked to a monitor. Why not open it up too and use extended desktop?

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
You may find all of your answers here: How to use your MacBook with the display closed. -GDF

I use my mac at home on the griffin stand plugged into an external monitor. I use extended desktop however I would prefer to close the lid and just use the external while working at home.

My worry is the display. When using the machine at home I do alot, and I mean alot of video encoding so the MacBook is kicking anywhere between 70-85C of heat and the fans are maxed out to their full.

Would having the lid closed while doing this resource heavy process damage it in anyway? I read there are vents under the keyboard (unsure about this)

thanks!

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I use my mac at home on the griffin stand plugged into an external monitor. I use extended desktop however I would prefer to close the lid and just use the external while working at home.

My worry is the display. When using the machine at home I do alot, and I mean alot of video encoding so the MacBook is kicking anywhere between 70-85C of heat and the fans are maxed out to their full.

Would having the lid closed while doing this resource heavy process damage it in anyway? I read there are vents under the keyboard (unsure about this)

thanks!

In your case, I would leave it open. Hate to hear about a warped MacBook or house fire just because it looks like a better setup with it closed. A general rule would be that if the fans spin a lot...leave it open.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Just plug in your monitor, keyboard, and mouse when you want to use them, unplug them when you dont.

By clamshell Im assuming you mean that your macbook will be closed when hooked to a monitor. Why not open it up too and use extended desktop?

Is a mini DVI to vga adapter included?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
In your case, I would leave it open. Hate to hear about a warped MacBook or house fire just because it looks like a better setup with it closed. A general rule would be that if the fans spin a lot...leave it open.

That is totally untrue. If running the MacBook closed somehow damaged the sysem, Apple would have never made it (officially) possible.

All hot air is dissipated through the big vent hole on the back. The cold air is sucked in through the center of the keyboard and since closing the lid still leaves significant space between the KB and the display its not dangerous at all.

I'm really getting sick of all these "is running my MB(P) closed dangerous and will it overheat?" questions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.