Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Hi folks!

I have an year-old 2.0GHz white MacBook (the one with the GMA 950) with Leopard 10.5.2 that has served me well for a long time now, but has recently had some major problems with connecting to the Internet (oddly, the problems occur whether I'm using Ethernet or wireless). The connection itself is solid, but seems to cut out intermittently. My significant other has a black MacBook connecting to the same network wirelessly and she does not experience problems, so I'm fairly confident it's something with my computer.

I notice this most when playing an online game like WoW (as WoW and my comp in general go crazy when Internet is lost in such situations), but have noticed it at other times as well, mostly with gaming. Sadly, it's hard to repeat the error, so I'm afraid that if I take it in, they'll just tell me that Internet works fine and give it back to me.

Has anyone else had this kind of connection problem before? Is this a Leopard problem (I upgraded just a few days ago)?

Thanks a billion everyone!

Benson-uk

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Hi, yea my brand new macbook has the same issues, can i ask whether you are able to send files to the macbook over bluetooth from a mobile phone, i have tried several phones and non work... maybe the problem is linked??

Its definitely not my router or network because i have other laptops that don't suffer from this problem, i think it is a leopard issue because it doesnt seem to be as bad on Windows ( bootcamp )

Anyway... check the bluetooth :) :)

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
YES it's a Leopard issue, that and anything ABOVE 10.4.9. A few solutions have been tried with limited success, and there's another couple of threads on it here. But this one seems to be a guaranteed fix for those of us whose machines CAN run Tiger (basically if it SHIPPED with Tiger, you're fine; if not, you're stuck on Leopard and cannot run Tiger so you have to try the other workarounds):

The guaranteed solution is IF you can, go back to 10.4.9 and STAY there at least until Apple comes out with a patch. This problem doesn't affect all Macs, apparently it only affects SOME. As you saw, one MB could be fine and the other might not. Bizarro, bizarro issue but it's all over the apple support boards for MacBook internet/networking.

To downgrade your system, back up your important data, then start up from your Tiger install DVD, then do "Archive & Install" to get you to whatever Tiger your machine shipped with; then update your machine with the 10.4.9 Combo updater for Intel macs [or macbooks or whatever it says]. Then Repair Permissions and stay at 10.4.9 until Apple gets the patch up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.