Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Macbook Pro Retina Early 2015 (bought refurbished, have no warranties)

It had 121 gb storage and I wanted to up it a bit; bought SSD from OWC https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/aura-pro-x2 with 240 gb.

Short story - the change didn't work, but computer still works with my old SSD, so no, I didn't burn or damage anything. I'm writing this on it after switching back to old ssd.

Long story - Since it is an easy change to do at home, I got all the tools and popped that baby open, grounded myself, disconnected battery, got out my old SSD and tried to put in the new one. FIRST problem: it didn't slide in place as easily as the original, I pushed firmly, but it sorta went in it's space, but there was no click or pop, like, you know, when things clickity clak in place (as the old/original ssd does). I assume it's just a tighter fit, compared the details of how it should look in place and it looked fine, screw could be screwed in neatly. Okay welp, got the battery connected, popped that lid back and gave it a go.

Computer doesn't boot, so I was like okay, cue mild panic attack. I plugged the carger and it lit green so something is connecting. Held the boot button and it turns on with a chime. I panic 2% less now, screen is black, and then I hear a slight pssssht sound that sounds like it turned off. I panic again and it boots by itself, chimes, psssht, boots, chimes, psssht. All this time screen is black. Tried all the prams and srams and took a shot of whiskey (I didn't, but I wish I did). Nothing. Black. Chimes happening meaning it's rebooting itself in circles, meaning it's a software or hardware issue. Knowing what I did, it has to be hardware.

After a couple dozen other panic attacks, frantic google searches on my phone, I decided I need to put my old SSD back to see if I just burned down my whole system or groped something I shouldn't have by accident. Before all this I decided not to erase my old SSD, so I would have my **** back just in case. So now I was changing back to my old ssd, praying to no one cause I don't believe in anything, plopped all this jazz together, put in a couple of screws so the butt doesn't fall off and tapped that power button. It chimes, shows apple logo, boots and works. Let's just say I was relieved... So.

What was the problem?

Was it that I didn't push it in well enough? Like it ended up being almost forceful and it wouldn't go any deeper (this sounds so bad), so what can I do? All the sizes, notches, info, details is correct and the product was right, but why did this happen? Should I try again? I'm a bit scarred for life now so? Help a girl out?

Arta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Don't you need to install macOS on your new SSD first before you can boot from it?

How can I install OS on an SSD that works only by putting it inside the laptop? Like, I'm supposed to put it in and boot into the disk utility area where I can install OS and transfer my time machine stuff.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
How can I install OS on an SSD that works only by putting it inside the laptop? Like, I'm supposed to put it in and boot into the disk utility area where I can install OS and transfer my time machine stuff.

Don't you have a Time Machine backup of your existing system?
You can also create an installation USB by following:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

P.S. You can also research an Internet Recovery(re-installing macOS via internet).
As far as I know you should also be able to boot from your Time Machine backup.

Last edited:

Arta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Don't you have a Time Machine backup of your existing system?
You can also create an installation USB by following:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

P.S. You can also research an Internet Recovery(re-installing macOS via internet).
As far as I know you should also be able to boot from your Time Machine backup.

Umm.. I feel like we're on different pages or you didn't read my problem, which is not unable to boot a time machine, it's unable to properly turn in a reboot loop and has a black screen.

Reactions: avz

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Umm.. I feel like we're on different pages or you didn't read my problem, which is not unable to boot a time machine, it's unable to properly turn in a reboot loop and has a black screen.

From what I understand, you are trying to boot from an empty new SSD? Or am I missing something?
Some preparation steps are necessary. I believe OWC sells an enclosure which allows you to connect your new SSD to USB port and restore your existing system to it. Then you can check that your new SSD is bootable as an external drive. After that it is safe to put your new SSD inside your Mac.
There are other ways to do it, but using an enclosure seems to be the easiest in your situation.

P.S. Looks like I got it all wrong here.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Return the drive to OWC for a refund if you can.

See if you can pick up an OEM Apple blade drive used on ebay (might be possible).

Or else... just put the original drive back in and live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.