Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Sometimes I think my machine is a little too quiet. Even when I'm operating at core temperatures of 50-70 degrees, my Macbook still dosn't seem to think it necessary to activate its onboard fan. Is this normal? I know my fan works because of the next item.

Last night I shut down my MacBook after a few hours of fairly intense use (watched a DVD and then was editing and producing audio). It was strange, because after it closed down the fan came on despite the laptop definitely being switched off. Is this normal? It was very bizarre. I tried to press the power button but nothing happned, then the fan switched off and the machine was able to boot as normal.

Another problem I've experienced is that when I shut down my MacBook and open it again, sometimes (it's only happned around 3 times thus far) it boots up as though It was asleep, and then just turns itself off. Weird.

Any help welcome, should I be worried?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Not sure about the first one. But the 2nd one happens because you close the MB before letting it shut down. It is a known issue.

The first one is probably something similar, where the computer is finishing shutting down and you can't turn it back on until it is actually off.

Why don't you just close the lid and let it sleep?

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
....do ppl ever stop complaining everyone is complaining about the noise of the fan and now you can complaining about no noise. I guess there is no point in pleasing apple users.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
I do be quiet and don't associate me with anyone elses problems. I think it's reasonble to be concerned about a notebook that is operating at high temperatures with no sign of any fan activity.

Regarding this, any more experiences of other users would be helpful; what temperatures does you MacBook fan begin to work at? Are there any Apple or third party applications that can test your fan? I know Dell have a program in their diagnostics CD that tests fan speed etc.

Many thanks.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I have the same issue with my MBP mine runs around 57 up to 68 odd degrees and I hear nothing in terms of the fan and I'm only web surfing as well. I have Coreduo temp running. I wonder if it is worth to call Apple or they won't do anything about it. Is it normal?

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Indeed, I'd presume that a computer running at 70+ would be in need of cooling down by fan activity.

Anyone else?

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
You know, a lot of people do complain about their problems, then again, it's good to be concerned, specially if you are the one who dropped the cash on it, but you so so many complaining, but you never here this...

WOW, I just love my Macbook, everytime I push the power button, it turns on, and it gets started really really fast, I'm entering my password before I know it. And then my dekstop comes up on that beautiful bright screen, and I am just amazed at how I can use it right then, I don't have to wait for Norton to load, dont' have to wait for a ton of other stuff either, that if I tried to use a program, it would take decades to start. Once I was ready, I just connected to the internet, wow, just like that, no configuration, jus bam, i'm there...

You get my point...I have high temps, and so does everyone else, that is why I say nothing about it, cuz I'll let someone answer their question and see if it applys to me.

BUT, that does not mean at all that you should not be concerned at all about your Macbook, but don't let that stop you from enjoying a fast little computer, that has beauty that isnt matched in any other non-apple laptop.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
breakfastcrew said:
....do ppl ever stop complaining everyone is complaining about the noise of the fan and now you can complaining about no noise. I guess there is no point in pleasing apple users.

He's not complaining, he's being concerned about the thing he just spent over $1000 on. Stop being a dick.

Have you installed the latest firmware update?

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
The way people act on this forum sometimes, you'd half expect them to work for Apples PR deparment. Listen, my MacBook runs at at 70C and above and it seems as though the computer is not activating the fan. This strikes me as a valid cause for concern. I am not slandering Apple, I don't really care about Apple, it's just a ****ing brandname like anything else. All I'm concerned about is the 900.00GBP computer that sits in front of me most days. Get a ****ing Grip.

Anyway, yes Miles I think so. What temperature does your fan activate at? I think the only time I've ever heard the fan is when I updated the firmware. Well I'm not complaining, this is great, the thing it dosn't make a sound but it would be nice to know this is not an individual fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.