Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samuel Engel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Germany
Hello guys,
I am producing now since a little while and I think about buying a notebook for production. At the moment I am working with a lenovo but I had some issues and heard a lot of positive news about macbooks for music production. I have some questions to you guys:

1) Has anyone experience with producing music on a macbook? How is the experience?

2) I am working at the moment with FL Studio and I ask myself if FL Studio is functioning differently in the version for apple? Does anyone have experience with Fl Studio on a macbook?

3) Which macbook is best for producing music?

Thanks and greetings

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
The Macbook is no longer produced by Apple. The Macbook Air and Macbook Pro are though. You could technically pick up a used Macbook. Whats your budget?

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I'm not a dedicated music producer, but edit a ton of videos and have dabbled in Ableton to whip up quick music tracks for them using an early 2015 MacBook Pro.

The best laptop for music production would obviously be the MacBook Pro lineup, but seeing your budget that doesn't seem quite feasible. The Air probably won't cut it, it's a really basic device that can't stand much more than mails, music, streaming, etc.

If you are still set on MacBooks, then you might want to wait for the new ARM Macs that are probably going to be announced in November, not because you should buy that...it will probably be out of your budget, but because older Macs will drop further in price.

Do a little more research on the necessary amounts of RAM and processor speeds you will need to run FL Studio smoothly (there is a Digital Audio section on this forum, maybe someone there could help with more specific info!)

Dave Y

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2020
1) 10 years now & on the whole great - having all on one machine (studio, live, office) outweighs disadvantages (less powerful and noisier than desktop/rackmount). Never had any real problems with compatibility (except for a few Windows-only plugins I used to use).
2) Not used FL but no probs with other cross-platform DAWs (Ableton, Cubase)
3) Around your budget I would look for a used 2015 MBP 15-inch quad core preferably 16 GB RAM.
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.