Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
Solved: Due to magnetic iPad cover below the MacBook

I'm asking for a friend who has this strange thing going on with her MacBook!

I have asked her to visit a service center already but just curious has anyone encountered this issue too(and fixed it)?
What's causing it?(loose cable or something?)

m7BPXlJ.gif

H7HuBWn.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: elpibe10

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Wow that's one sticky power button or something else loose inside, let us know the reason

(Reframed from obvious feminine puns re nail varnish etc etc :) )

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Has someone she loved recently departed?

09d87715a98ba578102621d1c4f5ce493e261aa5c7bcd9f3b12bb55e992e24a9.jpg

That's a weird one. No idea?

Wow that's one sticky power button or something else loose inside, let us know the reason

(Reframed from obvious feminine puns re nail varnish etc etc :) )

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
What's it sitting on? I had the same issue when my magnetic cover was underneath my Macbook. It would just randomly go to sleep. It was a magnet issue in my device.

Reactions: Queen6

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
What's it sitting on? I had the same issue when my magnetic cover was underneath my Macbook. It would just randomly go to sleep. It was a magnet issue in my device.

This could be it since both the videos she sent me - it was sitting under the same green cover!
Will ask her to try placing it somewhere else without anything below and see if it's solved

Edit: Yep! It's because of what's under it(magnetic cover)! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's not right, so I'd take it in to apple to have them look at it and repair it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have a powerful magnet in the iPad cover.
That's one of the disadvantages of the thin case on the MacBook. You do have to be careful of your environment :D

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Thats right, the iPad cover is making it sleep. If I put my iPad on the left hand palm rest on my MBP, it will put the MBP to sleep sometimes.

eddymerckx3

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014

I have asked her to visit a service center already but just curious has anyone encountered this issue too(and fixed it)?

m7BPXlJ.gif

H7HuBWn.gif

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Wonder why the magnet is making the rMB sleep....

messing with the electronics inside, or is there a magnet in the screen so it knows when it's closed?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Wonder why the magnet is making the rMB sleep....
messing with the electronics inside, or is there a magnet in the screen so it knows when it's closed?
The sleep sensor is always in the case. There's a magnet on the edge of the screen. When the lid is closed, the magnet triggers the sleep sensor. It takes a fairly strong magnet to do that from the bottom. The retina MacBook is thin, so the iPad case cover magnet does the trick.

developmenta1

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Phoenix
I have an Incase Icon Sleeve (magnetic closure) that's been causing the same issue when placed under my 2015 macbook pro.

Glad I found this post, thought the computer was on the fritz.

JAG Events

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
THANK YOU!!!! My wallet has a magnetic clip to make it shut! It was in my front left pocket. When I lay down and the computer is at about 30 and 45 degree angle it went to sleep.

Solved: Due to magnetic iPad cover below the MacBo1ok

m7BPXlJ.gif

H7HuBWn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.