Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countrykid333

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
i was wondering if there is away to speed up, improve, ect. the graphics on a 2.2 ghz macbook. As of right now they are painfully slow for anything other than chess. i have tried quitting all other programs, and propping up the back in order to reduce temperature, but it has made little to no difference.

Is this just the price you pay for buying a laptop with non-dedicated graphics?

As always thanks for all the useful information.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The MacBook is not the machine for 3D games. But 2D graphics, Flash, etc., should be fine. If these are running slow, then there may be a problem elsewhere.

For example, my MacBook has no problem with the 3D and 2D transitions in Keynote, even when driving a second display, though I wouldn't bother trying Unreal Tournament 3 on it :)

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I have a macbook and even though I love it to pieces I just can't play games on it which is why it will never be my main machine. Even when playing 5 year old games they still run very hot and loud and at a very poor fps. So I am hoping to get a macbook pro because of the graphics card which can run my old games along with new games i.e. cod 4, crysis.

ChrisN

countrykid333

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
What program are you trying to run?

mainly battle field 1942, i know it runs fine on my friends MBP but it think it might just be to much for my system:(.

i'll just start saving for a MBP i guess :D

thanks for the replies.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hmmm... on my old Core Duo BlackBook 2.0 GHZ, 2 GBs of RAM, 80 GB HD, I ran the BF 1942 Demo on Mac OS X Tiger and it ran pretty darn good... I heard things that the GMA X3100 is actually worse then the GMA 950 because of drivers...

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
So should it be able to run applications like Pinnacle Studios Plus while editing HD video?(1920x1080)

countrykid333

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Are there any after market products that somebody has had a good experience with that could boost graphics performance? because i really don't think a MBP is in the budget as of right now.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
some people have told me that WoW and Warcraft 3 runs fine on a black macbook, but others have told me that they are horrible:/

what about CS 1.6?

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
So one of those new Blackbooks wouldn't be capable of editing HD video or using Photoshop CS3?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I have a macbook and even though I love it to pieces I just can't play games on it which is why it will never be my main machine. Even when playing 5 year old games they still run very hot and loud and at a very poor fps. So I am hoping to get a macbook pro because of the graphics card which can run my old games along with new games i.e. cod 4, crysis.
ChrisN
Unless you're running these on Windows on your MacBook, the reason for the slowness in 5-year old games will be because they are PowerPC programs being emulated on the Rosetta chip in your Intel machine. On top of the MacBook's bad graphics of course.

So one of those new Blackbooks wouldn't be capable of editing HD video or using Photoshop CS3?
I don't think these tasks use the GPU so should be about as good as the MacBook Pro.

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
i think most people really underestimate the capabilities of onboard gfx. ;)

The GMA 950 can knock the GeForce4 off its socks anytime. That should be decent enough to play most older 3D games at medium to med-high settings, and newer 3D games at medium-low settings.

And the X3100 just rubs the 950 in dirt. :rolleyes:

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Hahaha 3100 is great, i run cs source with mostly high settings, and it is smooth, the only problrem is, when people get far away tehy just become sky colored siluet and i cant tell the teams. And on my mac side i run BF 1942 RTR, its okay on low. Is it just me or do you guys also see better preformance with windows on MB for gaming?

Alkus

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Hm... I'v got white MacBook 2.16, 2GB ram on intel and have enormous problems with games. I don't know why - firstly, Battlefield - it mostly run correctly (AFTER turning off the sound), however on some maps it is veeeerry laggy and slow. I've just installed Prey and... again. It is very slow. Funny thing is that even on different game preferences it works totally same... I don't know what to do. I thought that if i had 2gb ram programes AND games will work properly... ufff... now I'm lost.

Yoda3984

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
I play Battlefield 1942 on my white MacBook, and it runs great in XP through Boot Camp at max settings. I tried the 1942 Mac version demo and it ran, albeit choppy, though I assumed that was due to the lack of a universal binary patch.

Just to note, mine is a SR MacBook with GMA X3100 graphics.

Alkus

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Well I deduce from previous posts that actually games run better on XP by boot camp, than naturally prepared for OSX...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.