Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Sorry if this is a noobish question but i just havent been keeping track of macs nowadays. Are the Macbook harddrives still 4200rpms? I was planning on purchasing the basic 13" version but maybe incrreasing the harddrive capacity. TIA :D

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
The mac book hard drives are way too small and the upgrade price with apple is way too expensive.

I purchased a standard mac book and then replaced both the hard drive and memory with standard parts and saved quite a bit of cash.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
slipper said:
Sorry if this is a noobish question but i just havent been keeping track of macs nowadays. Are the Macbook harddrives still 4200rpms? I was planning on purchasing the basic 13" version but maybe incrreasing the harddrive capacity. TIA :D
Now that the macbooks are so easily user-upgraded, I won't buy any upgrades directly from apple.

If I were you, I'd buy a standard macbook, and then add on the extras through third party.

ncstmpr

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
I would like to upgrade the hardrive in my white macbook. Where is the best place to order and what specs or brands should I be looking at? Thanks!

kabooky

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2005
I want to get the Hitachi 5k160 (make sure you get the sata version, as the ata version does not work in the macbook).

It is a 160gb 5400rpm harddrive, uses less energy and creates less heat than apple harddrives, and it is only 180 dollars (from the right sources).

From what I've read, it is the fastest, most efficient 5400 rpm harddrive yet. The problem is it is backordered everywhere- might be able to find one today but it would be about 250$

I guess the best place to get one is zipzoomfly, they had them for 180$ with free shipping.

ncstmpr

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2006
I just sold my brand new macbook without the 120 Gb hard drive I bought last week so if anyone is interested in the 12 Gb drive pm me.

Lopes

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
If I bought a new hard drive for my macbook, would the macbook still be able to do that shock absorbing/hard drive head freezing stuff so things won't get damaged if it detects a fall? Sudden motion sensor, is that it?

Marioz

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Rivarolo C.se, Italy
160 Gb drive for Mbooks

kabooky said:
I want to get the Hitachi 5k160 (make sure you get the sata version, as the ata version does not work in the macbook).

It is a 160gb 5400rpm harddrive, uses less energy and creates less heat than apple harddrives, and it is only 180 dollars (from the right sources).

From what I've read, it is the fastest, most efficient 5400 rpm harddrive yet. The problem is it is backordered everywhere- might be able to find one today but it would be about 250$

I guess the best place to get one is zipzoomfly, they had them for 180$ with free shipping.

I have it on my MBP and it is a fantastic HD. Battery works longer, it is very quiet and very very fast. I am very very satisfied w/h it.
I got it from OWC just few minutes after arrived on the market :)

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
kabooky said:
I want to get the Hitachi 5k160

I'm going to get the same one if I get a Macbook (might still be a Pro). Its specs look good, though I wish Seagate would make a sata version of its 160GB notebook hd, to give me some choice :)

The problem is it is backordered everywhere- might be able to find one today but it would be about 250$

I know a place in Belgium where they have it in stock for a reasonable price, but unfortunately my boss is on vacation and he's the one who'll be paying for it :(

Marioz

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Rivarolo C.se, Italy
reflex said:
Is it easy to change the hd on a MPB? Are there any instructions anywhere?

It is not difficult, but I cannot help much as I have an Apple Center in Milan, Italy w/h some stuff just for repairing Macs. In this case I just asked them to put it in place. The matter to take care it is also Apple guarantee, and to replace the HD on a MBP it is not allowed.
MacBook it is different, of course, as HD and RAM are parts the user can change.
In my case I bought also an external case for my original HD of the MBP to be able to put it in place if I need some guaratee actions.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Ah, I see. In that case I'll probably go for a Macbook after all, depending on new MBPs coming out in September or not.

I'm also going to get an enclosure for the original hd, but it's a bit difficult to find any for sata notebook drives at the moment.

Marioz

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Rivarolo C.se, Italy
reflex said:
Ah, I see. In that case I'll probably go for a Macbook after all, depending on new MBPs coming out in September or not.

I'm also going to get an enclosure for the original hd, but it's a bit difficult to find any for sata notebook drives at the moment.

I had one only USB2 and it was orrible: very very slow.
After I got this one from OWC with USB2 and FW800 and it works great. Very fast. They give you also a FW400/FW800 cable so there are non problem to use it with MB/MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.