Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bLiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
usa
Has anyone had experience upgrading the Macbook HD to a diskthat spins 10000 rpm? I've got 2 GB of ram but performance when it comes to games could still be better... integrated graphics :(

Would 10k be way too hot? Or not worth it anyway?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Has anyone had experience upgrading the Macbook HD to a diskthat spins 10000 rpm? I've got 2 GB of ram but performance when it comes to games could still be better... integrated graphics :(

Do they make a 10k small enough to fit in a MB shell?

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Actually, these disks DO exist in the 2.5" format. HP uses them in their ProLiant servers. 2.5", 10k rpm, everything fits, EXCEPT they are 12mm thick, where your Macbook needs no more than 9.5mm. So, clear answer is "no". But they theoretically DO exist.

Google it.

:)

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
And that is why I said, "Do they make a 10k small enough to fit in a MB shell?"

I know they make a 10k 2.5" drive, but I also didn't think they made one that would fit in the MB or MBP's "thinness." You would think if they did, surely Apple would use them, wouldn't they?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I know they make a 10k 2.5" drive, but I also didn't think they made one that would fit in the MB or MBP's "thinness." You would think if they did, surely Apple would use them, wouldn't they?

No. Apple prices the components (hard drives, video cards) to the center of the market.

Apple ships with 4600 or 5400 tops.

5400 RPM, and 7200 RPM at the top end.

The 200 Gb 4200 RPM is a BTO option; it's actual not slower than the 5400 RPM drives, because of its superior areal density.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
So you're main complaint is that your performance when you gamem could be better, but you want to upgrade the hard drive? It would seem like the integrated graphics is the main problem and it can't be upgraded...

Flaki

macrumors member
May 14, 2007

why would you think gaming performance would be better with faster hd?

the only benefit hd with high rpm is faster load/boot, you wont get any fps boost

alljunks

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
the only 10K rpm drive that is not SCSI is raptor drive from WD...but the dont make it for notebook!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.