Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I'm looking for an internal HD of around 160-200GB for my macbook to replace the 60GB one I got with it, what should I get (looking at price and reliability). Thanks.

EDIT: Could apple upgrade it for the upgrade cost, as I have no use for the 60GB HD?

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Also, where are the best people to buy it from (I'm in England)

xznofile

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2006
maybe not a travelstar

I don't know about others but if you get a Hitachi travelstar, be sure to get one with a long (2 year?) warranty. I got one and they wouldn't take it back because I hadn't purchased a maintenance option. it conked out in one week. rumors say ibm sold the Travelstar to a Thai company, and some of the new ones are below par, w/ a philosophy of product 2nds attrition sales through trust & ignorance. I searched product rateings on Newegg.com, they were mostly positive, but on reflection, many looked like automatic ebay rateings (A+++ etc.) and most were posted within a month of the purchase, many within a week, only one rateing was allowed per person, so we'll never know how many of those crashed too, but the news never got out. Something fishy going on w/ Travelstar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.