Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samstod

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
So, my Rev A Macbook is hot. Very hot. It runs around 77 constantly (165 F), and the fan runs constantly at around 2500 RPM. (never above that, max is 2800) Beyond that, there is a whirling noise that almost never goes away anymore. The fact that it is 90 degrees out probably has something to do with the heat, but the fan noise would imply that there is a problem with the inner workings. When I got the computer, it was quiet as a mouse, now it won't shut up.

I use it in clamshell mode w/ an external monitor most of the time, and it is left on about 24/7. This puts more stress on it than average, i'm sure.

So, earlier today when running parallels, I got my first heat related crash. The comp turned itself off, and I felt the bottom, which was VERY hot. I let it sit for 20, then turned it back on, and everything worked fine.

Having had this computer for over a year, clearly my warranty is out. I know the problem is probably just the fan, but if it is whining, it could theoretically die at any time, so I probably want to get it fixed. What does apple charge to replace a fan, and what is the turnaround time?

Other questions - first off, I don't know why it is running so hot with nothing really running on the computer. Should I do a reinstall of the OS to get any hidden programs in the background to stop constantly taking up CPU cycles or does that not happen?

Clearly getting a notebook cooler would help, but how much? Woudl that lower my temp enough that the fan would be less of an issue?

Is there a way to replace the fan myself? Or is this just asking for problems?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

samstod

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
As a note, I installed Temperature Monitor, and it lists my Main Heatsink 2 as being 127 degrees C. Is this a problem with the sensor, or is my macbook getting ready to combust?

Also, how many fans do Macbooks have? 1 or 2?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
parallels does use alot of processor time, even while idol, the newer versions do use a bit les tho and have been optimized a fair bit more. what version of parallels do u have, and what kind of programs do you run???

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Thats really hot. I have a macbook also and mine doesn't get that hot unless i'm running a big app. One thing I noticed is that you said your fan never goes above 2800rpm? Thats basically idle for the fan, it should be able to go up to 6200rpm. I installed smc fan control 1.23 and it lets you manually control the fan speed of your macbook, whenever I know that I'm going to be using a big app or watch a dvd or something I always manually turn up the fan. Another thing I noticed is that you said you usually have the screen closed and you use a external monitor, try leaving the screen open. It might help it ventilate more? The biggest issue is if your fan really doest go above 2800RPM thats waaay to low.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
As a note, I installed Temperature Monitor, and it lists my Main Heatsink 2 as being 127 degrees C. Is this a problem with the sensor, or is my macbook getting ready to combust?

Also, how many fans do Macbooks have? 1 or 2?

My heatsink is only 57*C. :eek:

samstod

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
I don't think the MacBook would be alive if it went to 127C. It was probably Fahrenheit.

Well, my mainheatsink 2 does read 127C. I have to think it is a problem with the thermometer, being that I woudl probibly have melted the machine if it was really THAT high. The rest of my components are in the 60-70 range.

Also, I have SMC fan control 1.23, and my fan STILL won't go above 2800 RPM. Is this a sign there is a problem with my fan? Or could there be some other culprit that would cause that?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Well, my mainheatsink 2 does read 127C. I have to think it is a problem with the thermometer, being that I woudl probibly have melted the machine if it was really THAT high. The rest of my components are in the 60-70 range.

Also, I have SMC fan control 1.23, and my fan STILL won't go above 2800 RPM. Is this a sign there is a problem with my fan? Or could there be some other culprit that would cause that?

Looks like both your sensor and your fan are buggered. Given that the fan won't go over 2800RPM, I would be careful what I would do with the MacBook. You don't want it to overheat. Try CoolBook, like I suggested. It will definitely lower your temps under load (and extend your battery life).

anothermacaddic

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Pretty sure fan replacement cost in a mb is $40 for the fan and $80 for the labor from apple. Id do it. Compusa charges slightly less but the techs arent required to be apple certified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.