Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bartek Ołka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
For past few days I was trying to bring my old macbook pro (late 2008) to life. Unfortunately the system that is currently installed is linux (elementary os). There is nothing I can do for now as I don't have access to any other apple device. I've read a lot of posts complaining about the same thing but none of them were helpful in my case. Is there anything I can do besides waiting for an opportunity to get another macbook ?

Here is what I've already tried:

1.Burn dmg file on usb using transmac (windows). Tried both in program formatting and swtiching usb to gpt.

2.As I have linux installed on macbook right now and both systems are quite similar so i thought it would be possible to make that usb on linux. I've downloaded dmg2img using terminal and formatted dmg file into iso then burn the iso to the usb.

3.Another idea was to use online recovery mode but unfortunately it was supported form High Sierra and highest system possible on my mac book is ElCapitan (10.11)

4.Resetting PRAM and NVRAM did not help either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.