Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techno.tronic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Hi All,

So day before yesterday my Early 2011 Macbook Pro was acting all crazy and working really slow. So, I tried to power cycle it by pressing the power button. Now, the laptop came back on - I chose the user profile I wanted to use (between Guest and myself) - entered the password. The system got stuck at the loading bar with 50% done. After that it stayed there forever.

I searched a lot of forums, and the tricks didn't work. I tried recovery mode, turning off WiFi and restarting, but nothing worked. Then, I tried to "Verify and Repair" my disk in Disk Utility and it failed by throwing and error : "Couldn't mount disk". I got really worried about my data. So, I grabbed a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable - and hooked it upto another Mac and got the important data.

So, my question is that Disk Utility is saying that it cannot mount disk, yet using thunderbolt cable I was able to get most of the data out (I left others, because, they just wouldn't start copying and get stuck at Preparing to copy 123 items). I also tried to partition the start up disk in disk utility and it gave me an error that it need file system resize support.

So i am stuck.

Please help me guys.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X 10.10

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Sounds symptomatic of a failing hard drive or SATA cable. To determine which, I would recommend taking out the hard drive and connecting it externally to your machine. Boot up from it there. If it works, your internal SATA cable is done; if it doesn't, the drive is done.

If you're reluctant to mess about with hardware, you might try reinstalling OS X first and hoping it's software related, though I doubt it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Follow JTToft's advice in post 2 above.

It's much cheaper to just replace the ribbon cable, than the entire drive.

Then again, if the drive seems to be the problem, perhaps it's time to put an SSD in there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.