Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
PDX
I have been having issues with my Macbook since I got it. It doesn't run as smooth as my old G5 iMac but lately my Book has been crashing when I put a DVD in the drive and is having a hard time reading cds. When the DVD issue rises it gives me the grey screen of death and tells me I have to restart.
Is anyone else having this issue? I'm running the latest update of Leopard.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I have been having issues with my Macbook since I got it. It doesn't run as smooth as my old G5 iMac but lately my Book has been crashing when I put a DVD in the drive and is having a hard time reading cds. When the DVD issue rises it gives me the grey screen of death and tells me I have to restart.
Is anyone else having this issue? I'm running the latest update of Leopard.

NOt trying to be offensive...

But stop talking, and take it to an Apple store. You spent <insert $$ here> on this machine, and you expect it to work a certain way, call Apple or take it to a store.

xyian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
PDX
NOt trying to be offensive...

But stop talking, and take it to an Apple store. You spent <insert $$ here> on this machine, and you expect it to work a certain way, call Apple or take it to a store.
Stu, my issue is that I'm past the 14 day window and am moving so I can't afford to just take it in and hope for them to fix it. I've always had bad experiences with Apple's slot loading drives and I haven't been impressed with my Macbook.
I was simply asking if anybody else was having this issue.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Stu, my issue is that I'm past the 14 day window and am moving so I can't afford to just take it in and hope for them to fix it. I've always had bad experiences with Apple's slot loading drives and I haven't been impressed with my Macbook.

Unlikely, it's just an isolated problem with the defective machine.

LightDemon69

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Levan, Utah

All Apple hardware has a one year limited warrenty. This is covered by that. Take it to an Apple Store, tell them the problem, and they will either fix it or give your a new one and transfer all of your data to the new one for free.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA

What 14 day window? The 14 day thing only applies if you bought a mac and then within that time they released a new one. Or, if within 14 days, you decided you didn't want it.

You are covered for 1 year, get it fixed, it will be free.

xyian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
PDX
Agreed +1
My last post ever on MR. So, since everyone is being so helpful on this thread, do I need to put the stock RAM back in the machine and make sure everything's kosher just like from the factory?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
My last post ever on MR. So, since everyone is being so helpful on this thread, do I need to put the stock RAM back in the machine and make sure everything's kosher just like from the factory?

It will be a good idea to put the stock RAM back in before you take it to them to get fixed.

It is a bum part in a computer, it happens, whether or not it is just you that is having this problem, or 1000 people, it doesn't change the end advice, take it to an Apple Store. I apologize if my cutting to the chase was bothersome to you, but that is almost always the end result of threads like this one.

And honestly, why does it bother you so much that we are telling you to take it in, that it is likely only happening to you (in this specific way, I am sure there are plenty of people with messed up optical drives)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.