Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Ok, the idiot I am, I spilt a little bit of apple juice on my shift, enter and | keys on the MacBook.

How much will Apple charge me for a new keyboard? Can I just say its broken cause if I say I spilt something, wont the warranty be void on it?

Thanks!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Ok, the idiot I am, I spilt a little bit of apple juice on my shift, enter and | keys on the MacBook.

How much will Apple charge me for a new keyboard? Can I just say its broken cause if I say I spilt something, wont the warranty be void on it?

Thanks!

If your handy with a screwdriver you could just buy a part off ebay and install it yourself. However, if your completely useless then Apple will charge a small fortune, as it's not covered on the the warranty. Accidentally spilling liquids on your mac will void the warranty completely!!

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
apple does not cover accidental damage.

Ok, I'm not sure if I was speaking in Chinese or in English, but where did I mention that I expected them to fix it for free? Please read carefully next time, so I don't get excited that two people replied with something USEFUL to say.

If your handy with a screwdriver you could just buy a part off ebay and install it yourself. However, if your completely useless then Apple will charge a small fortune, as it's not covered on the the warranty. Accidentally spilling liquids on your mac will void the warranty completely!!

I was searching eBay, but couldn't find the SR one. I the ones from the pre-SR have different F keys.

And I'm sure I can change it myself :) that won't be a problem.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Thanks for the link. I already checked out that website, but they don't have any santa rosa ones. I see some on eBay now, I'm gonna buy it now. AHHHHHH I'm so mad.

Just trying to help. ;)

Good luck on the fix and stay away from apple juice. :D

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Just trying to help. ;)

Good luck on the fix and stay away from apple juice. :D

lol, Im going to put it no where near the MacBook now.

What happened was I was putting away my cordless phone on the charger, and the juice was in front of the charger (if that makes sense). Anyways, I put it down like I always do, and except this time when i let it go, it didn't sit properly on the charger, so it tipped over:mad: AND I HAD TO HAVE THE APPLE JUICE THERE

What's even worse, is I have to go in at the end of the week for them to replace my logic board, cause they think that its causing my network problems (but i know it snot), so i'm going to cancel that.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
If they're already prepared to replace/repair you macbook, don't go through with a keyboard repair right now. Bring it into them and see if you can get it replaced under the story that the logic board is messed up and conflicting with your network.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
If they're already prepared to replace/repair you macbook, don't go through with a keyboard repair right now. Bring it into them and see if you can get it replaced under the story that the logic board is messed up and conflicting with your network.

I don't think sticky keys come from the logich board ;)

But... if I do buy one from eBay, is there any way that Apple can find out that I replaced it? Is there a sticker that voids your warranty or anything?

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
To your original question, no, don't lie...it can only end badly. I don't think you'll have a problem with anything, even with AppleCare, as long as you do the replacement kb install properly. I doubt your wty would be voided anyway unless you broke something else while replacing the keyboard.

I am considering buying a keyboard cover for my new Blackbook which arrives tomorrow. You might also consider this. ;)

Thetics

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I don't think sticky keys come from the logich board ;)

But... if I do buy one from eBay, is there any way that Apple can find out that I replaced it? Is there a sticker that voids your warranty or anything?

wow, you kind of have a crappy attitude man.. i know you JUST WANT A GOOD ANSWER, but seriously... :D chill out?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
To your original question, no, don't lie...it can only end badly. I don't think you'll have a problem with anything, even with AppleCare, as long as you do the replacement kb install properly. I doubt your wty would be voided anyway unless you broke something else while replacing the keyboard.

I am considering buying a keyboard cover for my new Blackbook which arrives tomorrow. You might also consider this. ;)

I've seen those keyboard covers, my cousin actually had one. I didn't like it, I had to hit the keys way to hard for them to register

wow, you kind of have a crappy attitude man.. i know you JUST WANT A GOOD ANSWER, but seriously... :D chill out?

Do you really want me to be happy and dancing everywhere after spilling juice on my keyboard? lol :p That was yesterday, today is today. I managed to remove some keys and clean them. They are not as sticky as yesterday, but I still ordered a new keyboard off eBay, $80 incl. shipping to Canada :D

So right now, I'm kind of happy since a new keyboard is on it's way, and I can still use this one without waiting 36 minutes for my shift key to pop back up. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.