Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lenuxfrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
France
Hello ,

I'm hesitating on the purchase of a MacBook Air M1 that I found on the walmart website as I'm leaving soon for the usa.
MacBook Air M1 8Gb 256gb
My needs: office automation, internet, a little bit of editing
I already have in my possession: iPhone XS , Apple Watch and iPad mini and an iCloud account 2To

I currently have this :
HP Pavilion x360 14-dh0706nz

Intel® Core™ i5 8265U (1,6 GHz Basisfrequenz, bis zu 3,9 GHz mit Intel® Turbo Boost Technologie, 6 MB Cache, 4 Cores)
SDRAM DDR4-2400, 8 GB (1 x 8 GB)
Intel® UHD 620 graphics card
256 GB SSD PCIe® NVMe™ M.2
1 TB, 5,400 U/min

https://support.hp.com/ch-de/document/c06355730

I'm a little disappointed with the autonomy on the weight side I'm at 1.69kg

Is this MacBook similar in terms of power to this pc?

Thanks

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You're listing a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. I presume that's one or the other, not both? Which is in your computer?

From a processor point of view, the M1 will be considerably faster than the i5. Memory is the same. Storage is either the same, or faster & smaller depending on which you have.

Reactions: lenuxfrance

lenuxfrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
France
You're listing a 256GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive. I presume that's one or the other, not both? Which is in your computer?

From a processor point of view, the M1 will be considerably faster than the i5. Memory is the same. Storage is either the same, or faster & smaller depending on which you have.
Hello ,
My Windows computer has 2 storage devices: an SSD and a 1Tb SATA hard disk.
I use it for some video editing, photos, Internet browsing and video playback.

What I want to know is whether the M1 will be more powerful than my Windows computer.
Are the 2 computers similar?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Obviously you won't have that extra 1TB storage; you could use an external flash drive for that. The M1 is more powerful than the i5, yes.

Reactions: lenuxfrance

lenuxfrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
France
The only HP pavilion I saw on geek bench was an i3. Searching for your CPU, this seems like a close match... same CPU but at 1.8GHz, vs. the M1 Air.
Hello and thank you for your answers
Basically not a big difference in power the MacBook will be a little faster with better autonomy and a very very well done eco system.
Is it worth switching to this MacBook m1 for no big difference in power?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
If you are using a a video editing app built for the M series ship the Mac will be noticeably faster in rendering

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hello and thank you for your answers
Basically not a big difference in power the MacBook will be a little faster with better autonomy and a very very well done eco system.
Is it worth switching to this MacBook m1 for no big difference in power?
Some might opine that it’s worth the switch to get from Windoze to macOS.

I might agree with them 😉

lenuxfrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2024
France
Hello , I have a go hero 10 with this video configuration :

Video
Video 5.3K60, 4K120 and wide CDV 2.7K240
Max intervals, 5 m, 20 m, 60 m, 120 m Video file format --- MP4 (H.264/AVC), MP4 (H.265/HEVC) Maximum video bit rate --- 100 Mbit/s (2.7K / 4K / 5.3K) Additional video settings --- HyperSmooth 4.0 and Boost video stabilization, HindSight, Scheduled capture, Capture time, Screen shortcuts, Touch zoom, Slow motion x8, Protune

Can I do some editing with this MacBook Air M1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.