Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Crysis 3 runs under Parallels (requires subscription) albeit at 1080p low settings so likely Crysis 4 will also run since it looks like it's based on CryEngine 5.x/DirectX 11 which is currently more doable than DirectX 12 and Vulkan APIs.

https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

Better and easier to just get a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Uh does Crysis Remastered work in Parallels?

All Crysis Remastered use DirectX11+Vulkan so currently unlikely but maybe Crossover/Parallels will have evolved by then or Crytek will allow a DirectX 11 only option without Vulkan for Crysis 4. Still stands that it's less hair loss getting a console or PC.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
No idea if it will, but I hope so! Strangely, I was alerted to it's existence by a tweet from an Apple engineer (who apparently worked on the cryengine previously) which was then re-tweeted by another Apple engineer. This probably means nothing other than they are fans of the games, but it was interesting.

Didn’t they announce some time ago that the next Cryengine is going to have Real-Time Raytracing built in?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Didn’t they announce some time ago that the next Cryengine is going to have Real-Time Raytracing built in?
They patched it into Crysis Remastered (and by patched I really mean hacked, lol). It is a safe bet that the new game (engine) will have it.

CASMAS

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2022
It could change very soon. There is a rumour that Apple is poaching some Xbox engineers.
macOS is far from the gaming industry. No matter what people say, macOS has no hope until they increase the market share dramatically.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apple has to make an investment like Microsoft did with Activision Blizzard otherwise 2.7% MacOS market share won't even fund the idea of starting a game development house. Second biggest hurdle is convincing consumers to buy $3k+ Macbooks vs $500 consoles that have better gaming graphics capabilities.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
1643317088776.png

Reactions: maflynn

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Second biggest hurdle is convincing consumers to buy $3k+ Macbooks vs $500 consoles that have better gaming graphics capabilities.
“You can do your taxes, make movies, program your own games, stream directly from your device, make art, make music, all on top of playing games.

That’s a good argument. Unless your brain is just hyper focused on gaming.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Whoopty doo? Xbox Series X/S have Edge browser for Turbo Tax online, can stream directly to Twitch.tv, etc. Hardware wise it's pretty much a $500/$300 PC. If Microsoft flips the switch to give the OS full PC mode then they'll own the console along with PC markets.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
Apple has to make an investment like Microsoft did with Activision Blizzard otherwise 2.7% MacOS market share won't even fund the idea of starting a game development house.
Microsoft is spending a record $67 billion dollars on a deal that may or may not be successful for them. Just because you own the franchise and IP doesn't mean the talent will stick around. Good luck to them, regardless.

Apple doesn't do big mergers. The largest was Beats for $3 billion, and for Apple, that was practically a luxury purchase. The second biggest would be Intel's cellular division for $1 billion. Other than that, you have to go back to 1997 when Apple purchased NeXT for about $400 million.

My point is that Apple prefers to keep it in house and they have shown zero interest in being a "AAA" gaming publisher just for the Mac. I sympathize with your argument, as a gamer myself I'd like to have more titles on the Mac, but the Steam charts aren't a blip on Tim Cook's radar.
Whoopty doo? Xbox Series X/S have Edge browser for Turbo Tax online, can stream directly to Twitch.tv, etc. Hardware wise it's pretty much a $500/$300 PC. If Microsoft flips the switch to give the OS full PC mode then they'll own the console along with PC markets.
And the original Nintendo Entertainment System was more powerful than an Atari 800, but nobody ever composed documents on the same device as Mario Bros. This argument has been put forth for four decades, yet consoles remain consoles, because that is the intended market for the device.

Reactions: JMacHack and ahurst

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I just use NVIDIA Now. I can play most PC games on max settings on my Mac. Otherwise I still don't see the Mac taking off as a gaming platform, even though they are full capable of gaming now.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Microsoft is spending a record $67 billion dollars on a deal that may or may not be successful for them. Just because you own the franchise and IP doesn't mean the talent will stick around. Good luck to them, regardless.
Their track is such that that they seem to be keeping talent in prior acquisitions plus it appears that many folks working there seem cautiously optimistic, given the toxicity of that studio.

What it does, is strengthen MSFT's game catalog, and for many gamers makes the game pass subscription a must have.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
stop trolling/double posting without anything else to say
Bottom line, it could be able to launch the game someway ?! maybe yes, but irrelevant since the M1 gpu power is so weak for this kind of game, probably 5-10fps at low settings
Maybe try a online gaming platform for your M1

Apple has to make an investment like Microsoft did with Activision Blizzard otherwise 2.7% MacOS market share won't even fund the idea of starting a game development house. Second biggest hurdle is convincing consumers to buy $3k+ Macbooks vs $500 consoles that have better gaming graphics capabilities.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
View attachment 1950239
Too late, Apple should bought the Act-Blizz since blizzard was into macOS for so long..they miss the opportunity...or they really dont want to, they dont care about this at all

Reactions: mi7chy

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If Crytek makes a Switch port, the answer to this question should be yes. If they do not, but still use DX11 or Vulkan then the answer would be CrossOver/Parallels. If they use DX12, well, maybe the answer will be a future version of CrossOver?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too late, Apple should bought the Act-Blizz since blizzard was into macOS for so long..they miss the opportunity...or they really dont want to, they dont care about this at all
I disagree, just because they could, doesn't mean they should have. The profit margins of AAA games, is not that great, Apple could take those billions of dollars and put it to greater use, i.e., select business sectors that offer a better return and also what they're good at. Gaming is not a major item on Macs for lots of reasons.

Reactions: JMacHack

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
CryEngine has never been ported to macOS (or iOS) so it is really hard to say if Crytek will bother doing so on the 6th iteration of the engine (assuming Crysis 4 comes with a new engine).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.