Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgstreet57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Hello, I'm having a problem with MacMail that's driving me crazy. As of yesterday the name that appears in the heading of my incoming and outgoing mail is my legal name, which I do not use for my business. I have a pseudonym I've been using for years in my field. However now my legal name appears in all incoming and outgoing mail. I've tried many things to change it back. Adding the professional name to the accounts, adding aliases, but the legal name keeps appearing. Is this something to do with the original apple account?

I don't know what else to try so if anyone can help me, I'd be sooo appreciative. Thanks in advance, and all the best
bgstreet

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Please clarify a few things…

You mention "apple account"…is this an iCloud email account or is it hosted elsewhere (and if so where)?

The "heading" you mention, with your legal name…are you describing what you see above the emails in your mailboxes in the macOS Mail app?

Are recipients seeing your legal name when they receive your emails from that particular account?

bgstreet57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
No, it's my normal MacMail account. I have three accounts: Gmail, AOL, and GMX. The name is wrong in all accounts. I must have clicked on something somewhere that changed everything over to my legal name. The legal name appears only in my mailboxes. When I send a email the right professional name appears, at least in the test I made of it. Funnily enough, in the mailboxes there are a couple of mails that have the correct "professional' name listed, but the majority of the mails have the wrong name. Confusing, right?
PS: I'm using a macbook pro running High Sierra, so the mail app is being run from the macbook.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Check Preferences > Accounts. In the left column, select an account. On the right side, check Account Information. You can see the email addresses there and edit them to display any name you want.

bgstreet57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
In the Contacts application do you have a card with your legal name and the email addresses that you're referencing here?
Hi, yes I checked the Contacts and the card is filled out with my Professional name. There is no card in Contacts with my legal name. I checked all three accounts and there's no legal name listed for any of them.

bgstreet57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Hi, yes I checked the Contacts and the card is filled out with my Professional name. There is no card in Contacts with my legal name. I checked all three accounts and there's no legal name listed for any of them.
Also, I just noticed that all email in my ipad are listed with my professional name. So somehow this is only effecting my Macbook Pro Email app.

bgstreet57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2016
Hey there, I just wanted to say that I went onto my ipad and re-signed into my apple account, and once I did that everything went back to the way it should have been. Strange, because I don't know what I did to have the name change go through, but I want to thank you sincerely for your help; it inspired me to not give up and try something new. Take care for now, all the best,

Reactions: RobbieTT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.