Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CregoryNootinger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Hello all! I have been reading forums with people who (are at least claiming to) have put 8gb of RAM in their 5,2 MacBooks. I want to do the same, but they also said something about an EFI upgrade. Has anyone else done this and can point me in the right direction? I just don't want to brick my Mac. I also have macOS High Sierra on it as well (with a patch of course) just in case that is necessary information. Thanks to all who reply!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
More than 4 GB should work if you have a recent OS and the required firmware upgrade.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201518

However, I am not clear if MacBook5,2 white is limited to 6 GB (4+2) or if 8 GB actually does work.

MacBook5,1 aluminum works fine with 8 GB though.

lucasvel

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Hello!

Just upgraded RAM slots from 4GB to 8GB (2x4GB) but "about this mac" is still showing previous RAM info.
Is there a way to refresh this info? I wanna make sure my mac is communicating alright with the RAM Ive just installed.

CregoryNootinger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Good news! My Mid 2009 5,2 MacBook works with 8GB of RAM! All I did was insert it and it worked immediately - no EFI update required!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Good news! My Mid 2009 5,2 MacBook works with 8GB of RAM! All I did was insert it and it worked immediately - no EFI update required!
I looked into this. The machine doesn't support anything above 6 GB properly. Check your other thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.