Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinityends

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I took apart my 2008 aluminum macbook to clean it out and apply fresh thermal paste. After re-assembling the laptop, everything is working fine. With the exception that when I close the lid, the computer doesn't even attempt to enter sleep mode.

I have tried SMC reset, PRAM reset, updated to mavericks. Tried a new user profile. Took the machine half way apart to check that cables are securely connected. Also tried the sharing settings reset as well as the magnet trick to force the macbook to think the lid is closed. No Luck

I've searched online for further suggestions and haven't come across anything that works for me. In the power logs it doesn't even appear that the laptop is getting the sleep command.

It is such a minor problem, but very annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

spadz93

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
I took apart my 2008 aluminum macbook to clean it out and apply fresh thermal paste. After re-assembling the laptop, everything is working fine. With the exception that when I close the lid, the computer doesn't even attempt to enter sleep mode.

I have tried SMC reset, PRAM reset, updated to mavericks. Tried a new user profile. Took the machine half way apart to check that cables are securely connected. Also tried the sharing settings reset as well as the magnet trick to force the macbook to think the lid is closed. No Luck

I've searched online for further suggestions and haven't come across anything that works for me. In the power logs it doesn't even appear that the laptop is getting the sleep command.

It is such a minor problem, but very annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

There is a very narrow orange-color ribbon cable right by the hard drive cable (more towards the battery). This goes to the IR/Sleep sensor. remove that cable, make sure there is no dust in there, and then re-insert that cable to make sure it's fully inserted. you might see a hair of the gold contacts, but it'll be fully inserted.

I had this exact same problem, and this did it for me.

infinityends

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
There is a very narrow orange-color ribbon cable right by the hard drive cable (more towards the battery). This goes to the IR/Sleep sensor. remove that cable, make sure there is no dust in there, and then re-insert that cable to make sure it's fully inserted. you might see a hair of the gold contacts, but it'll be fully inserted.

I had this exact same problem, and this did it for me.

OMG! Thank you, worked perfectly.

I figured some cable wasn't seated properly, I just didn't want to remove the board again to get to the couple connectors on the underside without knowing which cable I was looking for.

I'm amazed this wasn't in any of the forum posts I looked through.

spadz93

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
OMG! Thank you, worked perfectly.

I figured some cable wasn't seated properly, I just didn't want to remove the board again to get to the couple connectors on the underside without knowing which cable I was looking for.

I'm amazed this wasn't in any of the forum posts I looked through.

No problem!

Check out ifixit.com, find your model and take a peek through their guides, you'll be amazed at how much they document over there. That's where i went to when i needed a guide to tear down my MB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.