Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.miran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
MacBook Pro 2012 mid mod

Hi, I just changed my hdd on my mac because it was very slow so i replaced it with a ssd. The lion operative system didnt read my ssd so i made a bootable El capitan OS X on my ekstern hard drive. when i booted it i saw the ssd once but when i restarted the mac it was gone. i have tried everything.

How can i make the system to show my new ssd ?

please help. Thanks.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try putting the SSD in the external enclosure then boot to a USB recovery key and see if it recognized. If it is, then that points to a bad internal drive cable. Pretty common with these. I have seen many cases where the cable seems okay with the old hard drive, but won't work with a new SSD.

s.miran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
i dont have USB to sata cable. and i tested to see if the old hdd works and i does. so i dont think its a cable problem unless the cable dosent support the ssd

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
So you rebooted to what OS when it was no longer seen?

I have this MBP with a Samsung 850 Pro and El Cap. No issues.

s.miran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
i mean i restarted the macbook and then the ssd was not seen. still el capitan

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i dont have USB to sata cable. and i tested to see if the old hdd works and i does. so i dont think its a cable problem unless the cable dosent support the ssd
The only true way to test this is with an external cable or enclosure. Even a cheap USB2 one will work just to test. I would just run over to Best Buy or whatever and grab one.

Like I said, it is fairly common for the cable to work with a HDD and not a SSD.

It is possible the SSD is DOA, but that is very unlikely.

s.miran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
mhhh problem is that i live in norway and it will take like 3 weeks if i order it on internett

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Hmm. Like Weaselboy said, best bet is to get the USB cable for it. That way you know if the ribbon is bad.

Just in case, where are you looking for the SSD? It will need to be formatted with disk utility.

Reactions: Weaselboy

s.miran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
mhmmhm, im looking for the disk in disk utilities u know when u boot up the mac and press command and R
[doublepost=1459706912][/doublepost]but my ssd is working fine on my windows machine
[doublepost=1459706991][/doublepost]i dont think its the cable because the ssd once showed up

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Well that's how it goes when things are failing, right? Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Connecting the drive another way will give you the answer. Best of luck.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
mhmmhm, im looking for the disk in disk utilities u know when u boot up the mac and press command and R
[doublepost=1459706912][/doublepost]but my ssd is working fine on my windows machine
[doublepost=1459706991][/doublepost]i dont think its the cable because the ssd once showed up
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly and the fact the SSD shows up in Windows further points to the internal cable being bad. I know you don't want to accept it, but this is very common for a borderline cable to work with a hard drive and not a SSD.

Reactions: JTToft

s.miran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
aight thanks for the help guys
[doublepost=1459709290][/doublepost]but i dont understand why the ssd showed up once when its the cable thats failing

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
aight thanks for the help guys
[doublepost=1459709290][/doublepost]but i dont understand why the ssd showed up once when its the cable thats failing
I have no scientific research to back up my theory, but I suspect the fact that an SSD is capable of moving much much more data than a hard drive stresses the cable more, so a borderline cable may work with a hard drive and not with an SSD. If you search the forums you will see this is a fairly common problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastalOR

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
aha i see well thanks for your help guys. just one more thing. where can i buy the cable for the cheapest price and the best working? my mac is a macbook pro 2012 mid model nr: A1278

will this one work? http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Hard-...or-MacBook-Pro-13-Unibody-p-17336-o-3291.html

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2012-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF163-041-1

That part number matches up with what iFixit is showing, so yep that looks correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.