Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

'84 Tigers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
So I decided to stop waiting and go to my local Apple store and buy my macbook. I have been reading this site (and many others) waiting for news of an update that was never announced - so I said today is the day I buy one regardless........

However,
When I got to my apple store I was told they are out of stock. After conversing the the worker she seemed to "tell me" (without officially telling me) to wait a couple more days, the back to school promotion (free ipod) was ending and traditionally apple likes to update after promotions are over. This is the first time an apple employee has ever told me anything like this before, everytime I have asked in the past, they always seem to play dumb.

This is also the first time my local apple store has been out of stock on the macbooks (at least when I have asked) so maybe apple is trying to sell all the older macbooks before they announce the new update. Makes sense.

We'll see - It would be nice, but then again.........

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I suppose it's just more "anecdoatal evidence." I hope it means something, since you would think Apple could keep their own store stocked.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
[QUOTE='84 Tigers]So I decided to stop waiting and go to my local Apple store and buy my macbook. I have been reading this site (and many others) waiting for news of an update that was never announced - so I said today is the day I buy one regardless........

However,
When I got to my apple store I was told they are out of stock. After conversing the the worker she seemed to "tell me" (without officially telling me) to wait a couple more days, the back to school promotion (free ipod) was ending and traditionally apple likes to update after promotions are over. This is the first time an apple employee has ever told me anything like this before, everytime I have asked in the past, they always seem to play dumb.

This is also the first time my local apple store has been out of stock on the macbooks (at least when I have asked) so maybe apple is trying to sell all the older macbooks before they announce the new update. Makes sense.

We'll see - It would be nice, but then again.........[/QUOTE]
I dont think the mac employee has the slightest clue when the updated MB/MBP are coming out. Ive asked numerous mac empoyees here from 2 different stores and they all say different things.(mostly their opinion) Also alot of macbooks are on backorder from what ive been reading about. Maybe thats why they were outta stock. But......then again........... There's always Next Tuesday!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Next Tuesday said:
There's always Next Tuesday!
I thought the following Monday was the new Tuesday this time around.... (The Photokina shindig).

Apple's really trying to keep us on our toes by releasing things on Wednesdays and Mondays. :p

B

transcendent

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2006
Shipping delays

I just put this in another thread, but it's relevant here:

A week ago I ordered a 17" MBP, 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HD. Ship date was originally estimated at 5-7 days. Today, I got an email saying that it won't ship until 9/26.

One day after the next mac event? Right when PC vendors are shipping meroms? I really hope it's not coincidence.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
deputy_doofy said:
I suppose it's just more "anecdoatal evidence." I hope it means something, since you would think Apple could keep their own store stocked.
not necessarily... (sure, i'm not entirely sure).. it could simply mean that as time approach the end of the promotion, more people are buying them for school to catch the last train of ipod promotion..

beginning of august there was tax free weekend in MO, and by the end of it, macbook was out of stock... which really meant nothing as we saw...

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
15" MBP's are sold out almost everywhere around here, so are macbooks. I believe its called the back to school rush.

I swear if the steve said that he is going to walk his dog on apples campus you guys will somehow think up some crazy way to make it pair with hardware updates, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Ed

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
You will never meet an Apple employee in the their retail stores that know anything about upcoming products. The consumer knows just as much as the employee when it comes to that. The only people that know about upcoming products are the people that run Apple, and those they do business with.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Everybody really is just grasping at straws. Usually when I see an Appleinsider "rumor" the night before a possible Tuesday release, THAT's when I know it's coming. lol

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Some Apple retail employees do know when new products are coming out. Most don't say anything. I used to be one.

When the big pile of MacBooks/MBPs start to dwindle in the stores, it's a pretty good sign. Stores get daily shipments of current products. If they are out completely, from my experience working at Apple, I'd say it's a pretty good sign.

just sayin.

Suasexed

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
UK
Well...MacBook's are instock in the UK...the 2 local Apple resellers al have them in. I ordered mine from the UK online store 2 days ago and recieved it today.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I mentioned it in another thread, but when does the next financial quarter for Apple start? Seems like a good time to release laptops and get those quarterly numbers up.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think they'll update them just yet. And they had the same back-to-school promotion last year and they didn't update the iBooks, but they may have updated the Powerbooks. I don't recall now.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Apple Product Timeline. I think Steve Jobs just got in his car to go home, maybe that means new hardware upgrades in time for Sunday Night Football!!!! No, no.. Definatley next Tuesday...

6d99c50166971e0cb91c201fa2472dc8.png

Taken from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerbook

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Ed H said:
15" MBP's are sold out almost everywhere around here, so are macbooks. I believe its called the back to school rush.

I swear if the steve said that he is going to walk his dog on apples campus you guys will somehow think up some crazy way to make it pair with hardware updates, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Ed

Yeah, well you've already bought your macbook pro. Let us have our fun. :p We're pretty sure updates are coming. In the meantime, speculation is entertaining.:D

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
She could be right, she could be wrong. Probably, she just told you so that if a computer DOES get released, you won't come back all, "I can't believe they sold me a computer that was going to get updated! I HATE APPLE, I WANT MY MONEY BACK OR A FABULOUS UPGRADE." You know there are people like that. If you wait, and maybe a product doesn't come out, then you're just, "Damn, that stupid salesperson told me to wait!" instead of being ballistic. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.