Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandonw7121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
Hello. I have never owned a Macbook before and I made a choice to buy a Macbook for my fiance and I for college. She will be in the nursing program and I will be majoring in Psychology. I'm having a hard time choosing to either get a Macbook Air or the Macbook. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! thank you all.

Bel Marduk

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016
Hello. I have never owned a Macbook before and I made a choice to buy a Macbook for my fiance and I for college. She will be in the nursing program and I will be majoring in Psychology. I'm having a hard time choosing to either get a Macbook Air or the Macbook. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! thank you all.

If you do any gaming at all, the answer is Macbook Air. If not, the Macbook comes in pretty colors.

Reactions: macintoshmac

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Ok. Thank you for your help.

If you do gaming, buy a PC laptop. You should have write what the laptop would be used for. But consider it this way:
Air has better battery, better keyboard, and way better in ports department.
But Macbook has better screen. So much better that it is silly to even compare them. It is a lot lighter, sexier, and you get more ssd space by default.

If I had to choose between two, macbook 12 all the way. But it all depends on the use case scenario.

Reactions: Zazoh

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA

The retina screen is on ALL Mac's now except the Airs. For that reason alone, I would not consider it. For the price, look at the non-touch bar MacBook Pro 13" as well. The prices are about the same. The screen is even better, battery life the same and you get the larger screen and more power. However, for hauling around to class, nothing beats the 12" MacBook. For the MacBook, I suggest only the m5 and m7 processors and stay away from the low end m3 in my opinion.

skizuki

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
I have owned a Macbook Air 13.3" and a 2016 Macbook Retina. Weight is a significant reason for me and now I'm very satisfy with my new MBr. However an extra USB-C > USB adapter is needed for most circumstances (like external USB storage).

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
No not really...quite the opposite.....
I have one myself. It still works great, but compared with any modern ultrabook or whatever they call them it's got huge bezels and a pretty bad screen. All the rest is fine.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I have one myself. It still works great, but compared with any modern ultrabook or whatever they call them it's got huge bezels and a pretty bad screen. All the rest is fine.
Yeah the screen is meh and the bezel ....well so 2000, but you have to consider this...

I got the 11 inches for portability , so most of the time at home I have a screen (as most users) so the built in remains closed in closed lid mode....keyboard and mouse attached.

So when on the go the screen is fine, sure the 12 inches MacBook would be better for the screen, but i'd lose ports and speed as the air is just faster.

So it all depends on your use scenario, it is hard to say this is better than that, so I found stupid the comment saying that the Air suck (it might suck for his use scenario, but that does not mean the product is not worthy).

skizuki

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
Macbook for sure. its weight will makes u feel "no regret", also its m5 processor is good enough for normal word/excel/video/surfing activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.