Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JACT2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Has anyone seen ref to battery life on the new notebooks?

I can't find any detail, is that because Apple aren't keen to highlight it is only five minutes?

I see the battery capacity is up on the old machines.....

J

JACT2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
max_altitude said:
Originally Posted by JACT2000
I see the battery capacity is up on the old machines.....
J
What do you mean by that?

I just mean the old PowerBooks battery was 50 watt/hour the MacBook battery is 65 Watt/hour. (Quite a hike in performance, 30% in fact – like worth mentioning you would have thought?) This would be good news if the MacBook's consumption is the same or less than the Powerbook (ie 1/3 more power hence a potential 7.5 hour life)....conversely it could be they had to bump the power output to cope with increased demand from the notebook - like the ultra bright screen.

It just seems a little suspicious that Apple make a point of highlighting the 5.5 hour battery life of the old machine but make no mention - anywhere - as far as I can see of battery life in the new machine. I would like to order a MacBook but don't want any nasty surprises like "a brand new battery gives 1 hour of operation.."

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
JACT2000 said:
I just mean the old PowerBooks battery was 50 watt/hour the MacBook battery is 65 Watt/hour. (Quite a hike in performance, 30% in fact – like worth mentioning you would have thought?) This would be good news if the MacBook's consumption is the same or less than the Powerbook (ie 1/3 more power hence a potential 7.5 hour life)....conversely it could be they had to bump the power output to cope with increased demand from the notebook - like the ultra bright screen.

It just seems a little suspicious that Apple make a point of highlighting the 5.5 hour battery life of the old machine but make no mention - anywhere - as far as I can see of battery life in the new machine. I would like to order a MacBook but don't want any nasty surprises like "a brand new battery gives 1 hour of operation.."

Ah right, I gotcha. I thought you meant they had replaced the batteries in the Powerbooks and they were now getting better battery life or something. :eek: ...I just got home from work.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
JACT2000 said:
I just mean the old PowerBooks battery was 50 watt/hour the MacBook battery is 65 Watt/hour.
It's not watt -per- hour, it's watt -multiplied by- hours.
Anyhoo, I think Yonah takes more juice than the G4 does. 3 to 4 hours is realistic for the new 'Book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.