Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Would you believe this? My MacBook's power brick is buzzing. It almost sounds like the problem with the MBP and get this: it goes off when I turn on Photobooth! It most certaintainly is the power brick though. How weird. The bottom of the machine is pretty hot right now, but the plastic is better than the metal MBP. I can't believe that this problem is now in the brick!

M

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
yes mine does this. Bought my 2Ghz MacBook in white on Wednesday.

The high pitched whine/buzz is coming from the left hand side of the MacBook (it's not the fan or drive) - it is most noticeable when on AC power and the cpu is under load.

You can change the pitch/pattern of the whine by running something, even just moving the mouse pointer will do the trick.

The PSU seems to pick up this noise like a radio!

If you've got the AC power lead on the PSU then you can easily lift the PSU to your ear and hear it quite clearly. You can stand there DJ style with the PSU to your ear and your free hand moving the mouse pointer! lol

The noise is quite high pitched but I find it very audible and annoying, I guess it depends on how good your hearing is!

I took it into the Apple Store today for them to check out, they just said bring back the whole packaging and they'll treat it as DOA and swap the whole lot for a new one.

A colleague also bought one on the same day and while I can hear the whine from the MacBook (he can't), his PSU doesn't do the amplifier/radio thing.

Anyway, as a switcher, this hasn't been a great start to the Mac experience!

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
I am hearing the same thing (both powerbrick and from the MB) but neither seem to be a problem. I have to have relative silence to hear either, with my ear to either the MB or the powerbrick.

Unless it becomes a problem or gets louder, i will not return mine. If i cant hear it (and i am a trained musican) under normal use then its not a problem. Yours may be quite a bit louder though.

Sry to hear its a problem for you.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Gee thanks. Now I just noticed it on mine. Must keep photobooth open at all times. :eek:

Interestingly, it doesn't make the sound under XP either.

wilmor42

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2005
UK
disconap said:
Don't lose heart, they make tons of these things, one or two are likely to have some issues. ;)

ha! more like 1 or 2 thousand of these things..
and the worst thing, no one at apple actually cares anymore!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.