Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
My parents bought a refurb MacBook Pro 11,1 (model A1502) a few years ago.

For the second time, the MagSafe power cable is fraying near the MagSafe end.

They need to get the cable replaced.

Where can I find a good MagSafe cable that will last, or are they all that way?

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Wow. Crickets.

Everybody with a MacBook Pro already moved beyond these older models?

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Our here in the hills, there are no computer stores anymore. They closed a long time ago. I can mail order it myself faster. Just looking to find a good cable from a good supplier, hopefully at a good price.

butterburger cookybutter

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Everybody with a MacBook Pro already moved beyond these older models?

Certainly not. Thousands of users, possibly one million, will not move beyond these models for a number of justified reasons. (MacBookPro11,1 A1502 is Retina with 13-inch screen and PCIe system storage; after 2012 SATA flashdisc platform, before current 2016 platform. It is what many call perfect.)

Where can I find a good MagSafe cable that will last, or are they all that way?

Apple's MagSafe cables are thin; that you know. Most aftermarket makers are copy-cats: they copy Apple's fashion thin cable. Every aftermarket cable which I encountered, is negligibly thicker than Apple originals. They are not meant to last longer than the original; they are meant to be cheaper, and so more tempting to re-order, compared to Apple original equipment. (But what do I know? Not all that much. I don't know that all aftermarket MagSafe cables are not durable. I only encountered a handful.)

I recommend not buying MagSafe 2. Instead, buy: Apple 'MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter' (model number A1464, SKU number MD504), a 'MagSafe 1' supply with figure "L" tip (right angle cord exit), and 3:1 shrink ratio heat shrink tubing ⌀ > 8 mm. Position heat shrink tube over MagSafe connector's strain relief at least, and pretend it is a pain relieving brace. Or use the heat shrink generously, covering over MagSafe tip and well past strain relief, and pretend it is a sweater (cut a rectangular hole for the bit). Heat shrink tubing which is of exactly 8 mm inside diameter will not easily pull past MagSafe bit (tight sweater over big nose), so use eight and a fraction millimetres, or 9 mm or larger.

After bulking up MagSafe cable end assembly, it will be difficult to flex, and not lay where you want it. The increased durability comes with uncooperativeness.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
After trying everything over the last 10 years and tens of chargers for the many MacBooks I’ve owned, I finally got tired of having a “regular source” for a repeating problem. This didn’t need to be something i had to buy enough times to know what it cost and how long it would take to ship here. I finally just became tired of it and when the new one got here i fixed it permanently.

Attachments

• 2F2C5CDB-C6E3-4927-9342-0E034A870D2C.jpeg
    2F2C5CDB-C6E3-4927-9342-0E034A870D2C.jpeg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 245

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I've already re-solderered a magsafe 1 cable to the AC/DC end. After that, I've applied a lot of Sugru to make the joint more flexible. However, don't apply Sugru on the fraying section, since it will overheat (I've already tried this).

In your case, perhaps a better deal would be getting a cheap counterfeit magsafe adapter (or only the cable, if available), then solder the cable to the original AC/DC case. I've had a bad experience with fake magsafe adapter, but I presume the critical part is inside the AC/DC itself, not in the cable itself.

Reactions: Wingsley

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Mine lasted about 3.5 years and that's after being very careful with it. When it started to break at near the adaptor I tried the spring suggestion (removing a spring from a retractable pen and wrapping it to the end), sounds like a good solution but my spring end started to pierce into through the plastic so just taped it.

I'm going to attempt to open the adaptor and solder the new cable. There are lots instructions on online and on youtube, looks a little tricky, but worth a shot before I chuck it. I've ordered a DC power cord off ebay which was very cheap.

Now I welcome the USB-C charge cable on the current generation. At least you can swap out the cable.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Mine lasted about 3.5 years and that's after being very careful with it. When it started to break at near the adaptor I tried the spring suggestion (removing a spring from a retractable pen and wrapping it to the end), sounds like a good solution but my spring end started to pierce into through the plastic so just taped it.

I'm going to attempt to open the adaptor and solder the new cable. There are lots instructions on online and on youtube, looks a little tricky, but worth a shot before I chuck it. I've ordered a DC power cord off ebay which was very cheap.

Now I welcome the USB-C charge cable on the current generation. At least you can swap out the cable.

My only concern is the static electricity stored on the adapter. I'm afraid of getting a lethal electric shock or something. Don't know exactly where and how to discharge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.