Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertorossi@62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2023
Hello everybody.
For some time my MacBook Pro 13" / 2011 has no longer emitted any sound: no boot "bong", no audio via the 3.5 mm jack/optical output.
If I connect my Bluetooth speakers the audio is 'is.
from the "sound"/output system preferences the message indicates that no audio outputs are found (not even inputs).
I just subscribed to Apple Music (I'm not joking) and I have a silent MacBook
Is it possible to resolve this unpleasant problem?
I ask you experts for help.
Thanks in advance.

PS: I tried inserting the audio jack into the dedicated socket several times but it had no effect.

Rob

robertorossi@62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2023
I installed Monterey because with Catalina the Music app wouldn't let me access my Apple Music account. the problem was there with Catalina (it happened suddenly and not when I installed the OS) and remained with Monterey.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I installed Monterey because with Catalina the Music app wouldn't let me access my Apple Music account. the problem was there with Catalina (it happened suddenly and not when I installed the OS) and remained with Monterey.
Try to run diagnostics

If diagnostics can’t run, you may have to install Catalina again (or a version of macOS supported by the hardware) and try diagnostics again. I assume you used OCLP to install Monterey?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You're saying that when you connect an external device to the headphone port (such as speakers or headphones) that you DO get sound output?

but...
If you UNPLUG the device from the headphone port, there's NO sound from the internal speakers?

If so
It could be that the tiny mechanical "switch" in the headphone port has become "stuck" in a position that tricks the Mac into thinking there is ALWAYS something plugged into the port. Even when you keep inserting/removing the plug.

or
It could be a software failure.

Here's something I found in my personal Mac archives:

Final thought:
For a 2011 MBP, I wouldn't spend much (any) money in trying to "fix" this.
After 13 years, time to start shopping for something new (or recently refurbished)...

robertorossi@62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2023
Apple Diagnostic.

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    848 KB · Views: 16

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.