Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vivek Kanna Jayaprakash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
Chennai, India
Good morning y'all
I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2012 and my cat spilled hot coffee on it ;( and it doesn't boot up.So I m planning to take it to the service centre but would like to erase the entire hard drive and factory reset the system.

If I remove the internal hard drive use a connector and connect it to my PC and delete the contents of it and then fix it back into the Mac would I have erased everything from the drive and factory reseted it

I have lot of valuable stuff on the drive and don't wanna give it away to the service person.

Please help me guys in this.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Assuming the hard drive is still functional, yes your plan should work. Sort of. Your Mac formatted hard won’t be readable on a PC without some tweaking.

There may be a recovery partition on there that you can’t easily access but none of your files would be on it. I wouldn’t bother replacing the drive in the laptop though. If the computer is fixable a tech can boot it from an external drive. If it’s dead at least you’ll have your files on a working drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.