Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
I've had this strange issue for the past few months now, where my MacBook will lock up completely, requiring a hold down of the power button to reboot the machine – but in addition to this the display, or external display which I am using most of the time, will be covered in green and pink lines (see below). The machine is totally unresponsive once this strikes, and seems to happen when streaming video – but maybe that's just because I've been doing a lot of that!

The model is a 2015 Retina 13" MacBook Pro, so it has integrated graphics only (Iris Graphics 6100), so it seems to be unrelated to most of the 15" MBP graphics issues I've heard about.

I've been to the Apple Store about this issue, but there was little they could do given that I am well out of warranty, but they could not find any hardware issues with whatever exact battery of tests they ran – and I could not replicate the issue as it is intermittent, happening maybe 1-2 times a week, but a few times it's happened several times on the same day.

Does anybody here have any familiarity with this issue, or just have any ideas on what might be causing it?

I am hoping it is not a complete logic board failure, and is instead either a software (unlikely?) or maybe overheating issue... as I've noticed the fan running loudly when the machine is in the frozen state, but I can't tell which one starts before the other.

The only thing I've had done to the machine lately is an official battery replacement 6 or so months ago as the original became swollen, so the machine had a "bottom shell replacement."

Display Issue.png

Thank you for whatever help you can offer.

Anna M

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2020
Did you get anywhere with sorting this?
I’ve had the same issue with a 2015 13” MBP. It becomes unresponsive, has the same pink and green lines and have to reboot. Also seems to happen when streaming videos and keeps getting pretty hot. I’ve got no clue what it could be so would be great to know if you managed to get it sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.