Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2015, Ventura, that is fully refurbished.
It is in good condition and just got new battery.

EDIT: Post update, to save ppl from reading the whole thread.
Problem was solved by running these commands, as suggested by user @Slartibart.
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25
sudo pmset -a ttyskeepawake 0
sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0
sudo pmset -a womp 0
sudo pmset -a powernap 0
sudo pmset -a networkoversleep 0

I also ran the command+alt+r+p to rebuild the parameter RAM.
I didnt reset the SMC.

After running the commands, i gave full charge and unplugged 2 similar computers.
Day after i opened the back-cover and made a thermal image, and noticed that some power was consumed by the trackpad. When opening the cover after one night on standby with no charger attached, it was at 99% charge.

After that i did a long-run test, and managed to squeeze 4 hours of 4k video playback out of VLC application before battery was depleted.

Coming night i will make another test, to see how much drain there is on standby with lid closed. Then i will conclude that the problem was solved by running the commands supplied by user @Slartibart.

However, I made some tests and battery drains very fast.

I charged it full, and then removed charger and closed the lid.
I open the lid only to read the battery status.

• After 17hours it is 67% remaining.
  • That is more then 1,9% / hour
  • That is 46,6% / 24h
  • That is dead MacBook after about 48h on standby.

The Macbook is upgraded with a 1Tb SSD, mounted on a small adapter and works very good.
The SSD is a Corsair Force Series MP510. It is 3D triple-level cell (TLC), and has Phison E12 controller.
SSD consumes 30mW on standby, and 6,9W on usage.
Revision: ECFM13.3

I have exact same SSD setup in another 13" MacBook Pro Retina 2015, and that one does not have this issue even if that battery has 1400 cycles on it by now.

I found some data that says Macbook should last a lot longer on standby, several days and weeks (3-15 days).

The battery saving features in settings are no longer present in Ventura settings application.
So i figured that they are some how automatic.

Is this issue related to battery, machine or OSX version?

If anyone has a good clue, or knows where I should start to troubleshoot this pls let me know!

Skärmavbild 2023-07-18 kl. 13.03.08.png

Skärmavbild 2023-07-18 kl. 13.03.23.png

Skärmavbild 2023-07-18 kl. 12.55.08.png Skärmavbild 2023-07-18 kl. 13.03.23.png

Last edited:

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
How are the Battery settings on your system (incl. under “Options”)?

As of Ventura, there really are no settings to be made.

About 20h after full charge and most part resting, it is now down to 57%.

After upgrade to Ventura The computer starts super fast compared to older OSX, when screen lid is opened the screen lights up direct and login screen shows. (password screen)

Some way this indicates to me that the computer does not go in to deep sleep when lid is closed.

Its all in Swedish, but basically no changes were made from install.

Was this explanation to your question? Does this look correct to you, even wrong language is used ;)?

Skärmavbild 2023-07-18 kl. 16.12.47.png
Skärmavbild 2023-07-18 kl. 16.12.40.png
Skärmavbild 2023-07-18 kl. 16.14.54.png

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
inga prob, jag förstår svenska. I suggest you set the power options like hibernation mode etc. via the terminal. Open one and excute:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 sudo pmset -a ttyskeepawake 0 sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0 sudo pmset -a womp 0 sudo pmset -a powernap 0 sudo pmset -a networkoversleep 0

You can use man pmset to get more info on the options, e.g. the different hibernation modes. There are some services which interfere with hibernate, e.g. AMPDevicesAgent and related. It might help to kill them… I remember that someone on stackexchange about when Big Sur was released an Applescript wrote, I’ll check my bookmarks later and will post it here.

Reactions: goodfidelity

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
inga prob, jag förstår svenska. I suggest you set the power options like hibernation mode etc. via the terminal. Open one and excute:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 sudo pmset -a ttyskeepawake 0 sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0 sudo pmset -a womp 0 sudo pmset -a powernap 0 sudo pmset -a networkoversleep 0

You can use man pmset to get more info on the options, e.g. the different hibernation modes. There are some services which interfere with hibernate, e.g. AMPDevicesAgent and related. It might help to kill them… I remember that someone on stackexchange about when Big Sur was released an Applescript wrote, I’ll check my bookmarks later and will post it here.

Ok, cool =)

I will try to use these commands and then do another test run after full charge.
Will be a day or two before i can pick it up again.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
So now i did actually just start it up wih Big Sur instead, since it is a dual boot configuration.

Still the machine uses 50% of stored battery capacity on one night.

I tried the command line thing, and will see if that makes a difference.
Change from Ventura to Big Sur kept the problem active, so it is not related to the OS itself.
Maybe the power saving parameters are kept in NVRAM?

Skärmavbild 2023-07-20 kl. 13.22.10.png
Skärmavbild 2023-07-20 kl. 13.12.46.png

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
you should additionally reset the SMC:

• Shut down and unplug your Mac.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press and hold the Shift, Option, and Control keys on the left side and press the power button and hold all of these down for 10 seconds, then release the keys. Connect the power adapter and then turn the Mac on normally.
as well as reset the NVRAM.

Reactions: goodfidelity

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Questions for OP

Is the new battery an original equipment Apple labeled battery, or is it from a "3rd party"?
(one never knows the quality of a 3rd party battery... some are good, some are fair, and some not so good)

You changed out the OEM SSD for a 3rd-party adapter and SSD?
(that can DEFINITELY draw more power from the battery)

Combine the 3rd party SSD/adapter with a 3rd party battery that may not be as good as a "factory-installed" battery, and that could certainly impact how soon the battery drains on you...

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Questions for OP

Is the new battery an original equipment Apple labeled battery, or is it from a "3rd party"?
(one never knows the quality of a 3rd party battery... some are good, some are fair, and some not so good)

You changed out the OEM SSD for a 3rd-party adapter and SSD?
(that can DEFINITELY draw more power from the battery)

Combine the 3rd party SSD/adapter with a 3rd party battery that may not be as good as a "factory-installed" battery, and that could certainly impact how soon the battery drains on you...
You are right. 2 non original items installed.

-SSD is not original, but i have 2 of them. Same batch same brand same size in different machines. And other machine works good. The other machines is on High-Sierra, same 2015 MBP 13".
- Battery is not original, bought from local dealer - not china - but i guess they all come from same ****** place anyways and quality can be very bad. Battery has like 3-5 cycles by now.

Anyhow, what is bothering me is the leak of energy during non usage. When lid is closed.
Previous times when i opened the machine, it is active immideatly. Now after running the commands it takes a few seconds before the password screen comes along. Dont know if the commands made any difference.

I was thinking how to narrow the problem down, if this is a weak battery i am sure it will perform bad also during load. Is there any good "test" that i can do to check if the battery is good under load? Like running videos or something? Or any application that tests this?

Thanks for all the help so-far, i will try to make this thread good for others to use and i will update first post after we reach conclusion.

Using the coconut battery application, i check info on the battery and it say the battery is 8 years old.
I dont know if this is something wrong due to how they program the data on to the battery when they produce it.

I installed the battery myself, and i know it was in a box before i installed it =)
I bought this machine with NO battery installed. So i dont know how the old battery performed in same machine.
Also this machine came with NO SSD inside, so i dont have any knowledge about previous SSD.

Skärmavbild 2023-07-20 kl. 17.10.32.png

Last edited:

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Comparing the images from the battery control panel suggests that the macbook never entered full rest, the green area in the battery control panel that states "battery level" with the green bars, it was a full diagram infirst snapshot and in the second ones it has a gap when the screen lid has been closed.

One of the snapshots is ventura, the other big sur.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
I charged 2 identical Macbook Pro 13" 2015 machines full, and disconnected charger to let them sit over night.

After they had been resting with no charger i removed the bottom plate and made thermal image to see if any parts were showing signs of operating / beeing active.

I understood that if the battery drains, then something will become warm. Because energy never disappear, it just transforms into something else.

Result of thermography is as follows, they are placed side by side for comparison:
(images show heat on trackpad, and orea around wifi-card and charging inlet)

top_view_flir_20230721T134942.jpg

mousepad_flir_20230721T134958.jpg

flir_20230721T135015.jpg

After running the commands, and rebooting again couple of times, and making again a full charge to 100% on both machines. I left them over night. One has new battery, the other has older battery with 340 cycles.
New battery had 98% left after one night, and old battery had 94% left.

It seems the terminal commands, reboot and new full charge changed some things.
I did not yet perform the SMC reset, because i like to test one thing at the time.

Seems the problem is partially solved!

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Well, Opera interferes with sleep on battery - what version are you using? Otherwise you can use

pmset -g assertions

to see what programs interfere.

It is the same information that the activity monitor will show, just in more detail.

To see programs come and go use:

pmset -g assertionslog

or you just catch everything with sleep in it:

pmset -g assertionslog|grep -i sleep

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Well, Opera interferes with sleep on battery - what version are you using? Otherwise you can use

pmset -g assertions

It is the same information that the activity monitor will show, just in more detail.

pmset -g assertionslog

Thank you for your comments!

Yeah i noticed Opera.

I thing version is latest version, because it is fresh install computers.

Does that (opera) explain why the touchpad interface is warm after one night with lid closed?
Interesting also the heat around Wi-Fi area, that to me indicates communication is active..

I never opened the machine screen day after, just undid the back lid day after and made the thermal image.

Temperature difference is noticable, and this also consumes energy. Very interesting why this is one one of the machines but not both.

I now downloaded a 4K video clip, and put it in loop. Also i tried to make timelaps with old iphone, 1 minute interval to see how long it will take before battery runs out. Maybe there is better solution for testing the battery under load?

Also the battery in the other machine, with only 340 cycles or so, is showing "replace soon".

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015

pmset -g assertions

pmset -g assertionslog

Do you know why some applications stay active and prevent sleep?
Opera does this also on my other MacBooks, and one of them has older installation and running High-Sierra.

Now the sleep is prevented by "sharingd" and "useractivityd".
Sharing is not active on this machine, it is disabled and never was active during this session.

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 19.20.48.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.