Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexCypRus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
To start off with, i am new to mac and i am a windows convert. The new MacBook is awesome, however i noticed some strange glitches here and there, one of them being the battery indicator. Here's some of the things that occur :

1- The battery indicator does not show that the macbook is charging, unless you restart or go to sleep/wake up the MacBook. It makes a noise, once the power cable is plugged in, but it does not show that its charing. Only shows as if the laptop is still running off battery.

2-The battery indicator shows that theres lets say 40 % batter, and then it suddenly jumps down to 20 -30%.

All these errors can be easily fixed with a restart or a sleep/wake up of the MacBook. What i want to know, is it just a software issue? Or could it be hardware related ?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I haven't experienced these issues with the 15". It seems both issues may have the same cause, some delay in registering what's going on with the battery. But I don't know what the cause would be. Have you contacted Apple support?

AlexCypRus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
I haven't experienced these issues with the 15". It seems both issues may have the same cause, some delay in registering what's going on with the battery. But I don't know what the cause would be. Have you contacted Apple support?
I did not try contacting Apple support about it. Thought i would try the forums to get some answers 1st.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
1) Are you using the Apple charger? Heard odd behavior with aftermarket chargers.

2) This might be slow refresh. How long was it sleeping? You might actually be losing 20% during sleep. Sleep can definitely drain that fast over several hours if your notifications keep waking up the MBP. Need to update notification settings if this is the case, or force hibernate.

AlexCypRus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
1) Are you using the Apple charger? Heard odd behavior with aftermarket chargers.

2) This might be slow refresh. How long was it sleeping? You might actually be losing 20% during sleep. Sleep can definitely drain that fast over several hours if your notifications keep waking up the MBP. Need to update notification settings if this is the case, or force hibernate.

1-The charger is original Apple charger.

2- If i am using the computer, and the battery indicator starts lagging, i put it to sleep and wake it up straight away, in order to fix the issue. So its not a matter of having in sleep for too long and losing battery life. Also, with the 2016 model, the battery lasts incredibly well during sleep. I have notifications turned off, and there is absolutely no drain (or minimal drain) over nights sleep. This is a feature of the 2016 model as far as i know.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
1-The charger is original Apple charger.

2- If i am using the computer, and the battery indicator starts lagging, i put it to sleep and wake it up straight away, in order to fix the issue. So its not a matter of having in sleep for too long and losing battery life. Also, with the 2016 model, the battery lasts incredibly well during sleep. I have notifications turned off, and there is absolutely no drain (or minimal drain) over nights sleep. This is a feature of the 2016 model as far as i know.
You are lucky on the lack of sleep drain. Some of us aren't doing as well in that department. Not a big deal since I can force it to hibernate if I want but still trying to troubleshoot.

Given your answers, this is the first I've read about this on MR. I believe a few had issues with it not actually charging, but not the indicator not updating. I could be wrong about others not having this issue, but I doubt it since I spend way too much time here since getting my MBP. I would contact Apple, and I guess they will just want to swap it out since it could be hardware (strange sound you hear).

AlexCypRus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
You are lucky on the lack of sleep drain. Some of us aren't doing as well in that department. Not a big deal since I can force it to hibernate if I want but still trying to troubleshoot.

Given your answers, this is the first I've read about this on MR. I believe a few had issues with it not actually charging, but not the indicator not updating. I could be wrong about others not having this issue, but I doubt it since I spend way too much time here since getting my MBP. I would contact Apple, and I guess they will just want to swap it out since it could be hardware (strange sound you hear).
I cant switch it out in the Apple store, i live on a small European Island with no official Apple store :p..
Also, you might have misunderstood me, there is no strange sound, just the indicator lagging sometimes.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I cant switch it out in the Apple store, i live on a small European Island with no official Apple store :p..
Also, you might have misunderstood me, there is no strange sound, just the indicator lagging sometimes.
I see. "Makes a noise" meant the computer alerting. I guess it could be software then - good news. A CALL into Apple is the answer then since you unfortunately live on a small European island - that's terrible! :cool:

justinrector

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
To start off with, i am new to mac and i am a windows convert. The new MacBook is awesome, however i noticed some strange glitches here and there, one of them being the battery indicator. Here's some of the things that occur :

1- The battery indicator does not show that the macbook is charging, unless you restart or go to sleep/wake up the MacBook. It makes a noise, once the power cable is plugged in, but it does not show that its charing. Only shows as if the laptop is still running off battery.

2-The battery indicator shows that theres lets say 40 % batter, and then it suddenly jumps down to 20 -30%.

All these errors can be easily fixed with a restart or a sleep/wake up of the MacBook. What i want to know, is it just a software issue? Or could it be hardware related ?

I am having the exact same problem. I just got mine today and noticed it immediately. Have you talked to Apple about what it could be?

satirev

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2010
Same issue here, and actually, my machine died and now won't boot even with the charging cable plugged in, lost a bunch of data because of it, thanks apple for making a ****** product that I spent 2.5K on! nothing but a paper weight now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.