Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ken_u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
Hi guys,

I have two questions with regards to SSD speed with Macbook Pro 13 early 2015 (16gb RAM, 1TB)

I still keep High Sierra for this in order to run old software and by checking with Blackmagic speed test app, my unit gets faster writing speed (700-730 MB/s) than spec but significantly slower reading (650-680 MB/s). Strange thing is according to app, writing speed is consistently faster than reading. I did clean install and made no difference.

Source :
(643.6 MB/s/1.3 GB/s)

I'm wondering if there is known issue with SSD speed with this particular model?

The second question is if anyone can clarify if this model has Storage Interface is PCIe 2.0 x4 or PCIe 3.0 x4? Above link says PCIe 3.0 x4 but other SSD upgrade discussion link says only 15 inch model.

Source : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2015-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

Is this the case it got upgraded to 3.0 by firmware upgrade? (sorry I'm not sure if it is hardware specific or upgradable by firmware...) I'm kind of thinking to upgrade SSD to NVMe if it is worth doing so.

Thank you in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.