Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jruysaribeiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2018
Good morning everyone,

I have tried to fix this once and got a lot of help from everyone over at reddit but alas, unfortunately, that got me nowhere.

So I will run you through the chain of events that lead me here. My MacBook Pro 13'' late 2013 worked fine with Sierra. I updated it to High Sierra and it started randomly crashing (black screen, audio looping and eventually system reboot). I was told this sounded like a hardware problem so I kind of panicked for a while. I used it for a couple of weeks with the random crashes but eventually decided to downgrade back to Sierra. That was when I was really surprised that it kept crashing (where it once never did). It never happened during some particular action, it was as random as it could possibly be. System diagnosis revealed nothing, btw. In a leap of faith I downgraded it back to El Capitan and, lo and behold, it works flawlessly again which makes me believe that this isn't a hardware problem.

My two cents are that it might have something to do with the new APFS drive format. In High sierra, where it started, it's mandatory and in Sierra it can be facultative but maybe there are some specific things that changed that might be causing this problem for me. Is there anyone out there who might be able to help me figure this out? It is really baffling me and I do miss some High Sierra features.

Lately I have been reading on Firmware updates and how once they update to the latest, they don't revert back to the previous iteration even if you downgrade the OS so maybe that is what is happening to my MacBook Pro?

Thank you so much for all your help1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.