Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClaraF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Hello everyone,

Earlier this week I wanted to update my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13" from Sierra to high Sierra and towards the end of the update the Mac crashed and now won't fully boot. I get the apple logo and the progress bar, however it never finishes booting.

My current configuration is a Samsung SSD in the hard drive slot and the original HDD in the Optibay.

I had the exact same issue when updating from Yosemite to Sierra a few months back and resorted to a clean install as a last resort. At the time, I was only using the original HDD in its original place.

All the solutions I have found so far require to boot in recovery or safe mode, which at this point my Mac doesn't do. I am also unable to change the start-up disk, so I can't boot from an external drive. Some threads suggested resetting PRAM / NVRAM, the command works, however it didnt fix my issue.

I thought I had fixed the issue for good back in May, however it took several attempts and clean installs:
- I wiped my drive and restored using my latest time machine back up, tried updating from Yosemite to Sierra and again had the exact same issue.
- Clean installed Sierra, then restored from my time machine back up. Again the same issue.
- Clean installed Sierra, transferred files manually and some selected applications, system was running well until the recent update.

As I don't really want to clean install every time I experience this issue, I wanted to know if anyone experienced something similar and has found a permanent fix.

Thanks in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.