Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello to all,
I am writing to you for information.
Currently on my MacBook Pro 13 ”Mid 2012 I have Big Sur Beta 9 installed. I must say that for being an unsupported MacBook Pro it works quite well and I am very happy because I can develop on IOS without problems.
But I would like to update to the Beta 10 version or to the GM version when this is released, I presume in the next week with the November 10 event.
I then made a backup copy to an external drive via Carbon Copy Cloner, and although the copy was verified, I expected, when the MacBook Pro was started, in addition to the internal drive where Catalina is, the backup copy of Big Sur and Big Sur, but unfortunately nothing, I can't see it.
Is there any passage that you think I'm wrong?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hi,
I finally succeeded but without Carbon Copy Cloner.
I entered Recovery mode (CMD + R) and performed the Restore on the external disk.
For the moment it works fine .... now I just have to figure out how to upgrade to the Beta 10 version or wait for the official release.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
As for the first part of your post I don't think Apple dropped support for 2012 MBA because it can't handle it per se. I think this was a decision purely from marketing standpoint. ;)

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
As for the first part of your post I don't think Apple dropped support for 2012 MBA because it can't handle it per se. I think this was a decision purely from marketing standpoint. ;)

I believe too. I am so sorry that it is no longer supported because it is a very good computer, with 16GB and 512GB of SSD it works very very well and also with Big Sur it works very well

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I saw your thread last night Vince and it inspired me to successfully install MacOS 11 Big Sur 11.2.3 to my Mid 2012 13-inch MacBook Pro with functional wifi.

For me I used @Barry K. Nathan micro patcher 0.5.1 to get the new OS installed. Thanks for the inspiration to do this :)

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Big Sur breathed new life into both my 2012's MBP/Air. Quite a shame Apple didn't support them, but the Pro did ship with a spinner and I can't imagine that BS would work well on a platter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.