Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrashCocoB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Hi,

I've a MacBook Pro 13" (Mid-2012) which is currently running with stock specs:
- Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz
- 4 GB RAM
- 500 GB HDD
- High Sierra

I've ordered and received my upgrade kit from Crucial :
- 16 GB RAM (2 x 8)
- 500 GB SSD

Already saw on YouTube a nice tutorial on how to proceed with the hardware upgrade:

My question is now about the back-up and restore of the OS, my programs and their settings and my files.
I've an enclosure to connect a SATA HDD/SSD via USB.

The obvious answer would be: TimeMachine. However, as far as I know, if would mean that i required a 3rd HDD for this because as far as I know, it would not be possible to create the back-up on the new SSD, start the MacBook with the SSD plugged-in and restore from itself.

The other option I would see is to "clone" the actual HDD to the new SSD, proceed with the physical swap and then I'd be all done.
For this, I've questions:
1. Is there an utility already installed on the Mac allowing me to that this cloning ? I checked but have not found.
2. If not, I saw here and there people recommending a tool called "Carbon Copy". Would you recommend it ?
3. With Mac utility, would the boot/recovery partition would also be backed up ?
4. Same question for Carbon Copy.

When the upgrade is finished, I'll use the HDD as TimeMachine disk.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A Bandicoot.

CrashCocoB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
An additional question: with TimeMachine, would the boot/recovery partition be saved from the source HDD and restored to the new SSD ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Here's your solution.
If you follow this as I suggest, I guarantee you 99.7% chance of success ;)

Two things you'll need (in addition to what you have)
- CarbonCopyCloner -- it's FREE to download and use for 30 days from here:
http://www.bombich.com/download.html
- A USB3/SATA dongle/adapter, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd
(I have one, works great)

What to do when the SSD arrives:
1. DON'T install it into the MacBook yet. Instead, do this:
2. Connect the SSD to the dongle and plug it into the Macbook (you may rcv the msg that it's not formatted and the finder will ask if you wish to initialize it.
3. YES, you do want to initialize it, so go ahead and open Disk Utility.
4. Choose the "erase" button (same as initialize), and choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled". Choose the GUID partition map if it's not already chosen.
5. The drive will initialize. Afterwards, quit Disk Utility.

6. Now... open CCC. It's in "trial mode" for 30 days, but all functions work.
7. You can accept CCC's defaults for now
8. There are 3 "boxes" in CCC. In the leftmost box, choose your source drive (the internal drive).
9. To it's right (the middle box), choose the target (the SSD).
10. When you've done that, click "clone", and then "continue" in the final alert box.
10a. CCC will also inform you that it can clone over the recovery partition. YES, you want to do this. CCC will even create a separate partition for it!
The cloning will take a little while, depending on how much stuff you have on the internal HDD.

When done, quit CCC. It's now time to TEST BOOT your SSD while it's still connected to the dongle. Do this:
a. Power down the MacBook ALL THE WAY OFF
b. Press the power-on key and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears.
c. Select the SSD with the pointer and hit return
d. The MacBook should boot from the external drive.
e. Do you get "a good boot"? It will look EXACTLY LIKE your internal drive. You need to go to the "about this Mac" option under the apple menu and check to be sure that you're actually booted from the new drive.

If you get a successful boot from the cloned copy, NOW it's time to power down and "do the drive swap".
BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT TOOLS. You'll need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 driver.
If you've never done a drive swap before, the ifixit.com tutorial is a great help.

When done, and the MacBook is closed up, now it's time to try to boot the SSD.
IMPORTANT TIP:
REPEAT the "option key trick" as above for the first boot. It's a new drive and the startup disk setting will have been "lost".
When you get to the finder, open system preferences/startup disk and RE-designate your SSD to be the new internal boot drive.

After the old drive is out, you can either continue to keep it as a backup drive (you can use CCC to "maintain the clone" -- or use it for whatever you wish.

IF you print this out and check this off step-by-step, your probability of success should be near 100% Guaranteed!

CrashCocoB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Thank you for this detailed tutorial.
I'll give it a shot.

Just a question: with CCC, would the ID of the Internal HDD copied into the new SSD ? If so, I think it would be an issue because if both volumes share the same ID, I won't be able to connect both at the same time which I want (I'll use the current Internal HDD as USB Time Machine drive).

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Thank you for this detailed tutorial.
I'll give it a shot.

Just a question: with CCC, would the ID of the Internal HDD copied into the new SSD ? If so, I think it would be an issue because if both volumes share the same ID, I won't be able to connect both at the same time which I want (I'll use the current Internal HDD as USB Time Machine drive).

I don't use CCC, but I'm pretty sure it won't copy the volume/partition name. If two disks in a system have the same volume name (the disks will have a different internal ID), one will mount with a number appended to it (it could be confusing though). If you do encounter this situation, you can rename one of the volume names.

Reactions: CrashCocoB

CrashCocoB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I don't use CCC, but I'm pretty sure it won't copy the volume/partition name. If two disks in a system have the same volume name (the disks will have a different internal ID), one will mount with a number appended to it (it could be confusing though). If you do encounter this situation, you can rename one of the volume names.

Thanks for you confirmation.

As soon as I get my second SSD (for the iMac) I’ll clone both.

I don’t intend to buy CCC so I prefer to get both before enabling the 30 days trial.

Will keep you posted with the result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.