Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danf747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2019
Okay, I broke the cardinal sin of storing a water bottle next to my laptop. I know, I'm an idiot... but please help.

The laptop was off when the water spilled, so I'm hoping the fans didn't distribute any of the water too far. I made sure it didn't turn on 100% until it was dry the next day (auto boot was annoying... off now)

So day 4
It turns on and works mostly fine, there is a water stain inside the LCD that is slowly drying and looks like it will recover 100%. The bad part, the touch bar is completely unresponsive!!!!

So my question is, should I open my laptop case to look for and clean corrosion? Will opening the bottom case void my warranty? (I'm hoping the liquid idicators haven't been tripped, can I check these) Is there anything I can do to help the touchbar?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Wow I'm sorry to hear that your touch bar is having some trouble. I have a general rule to keep water and other drinks an arm stretch distance away, meaning I have to stretch to reach my drink. That way if I spill it I still have some time to quickly move my laptop out of the way of the water. If I keep it right by my laptop and it spills, It might fall directly on the laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.