Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmlevine5591

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2016
After updating to 10.12.4 my MacBook pro sometimes locks up and has to be restarted by holding down the power button. The mouse and the trackpad lock up as well. This happened to me after an earlier update and i guess was fixed after a subsequent update. Anyone else having this issue with 10.12.4?

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
mouse and trackpad? Do you mean keyboard and trackpad? Also, is this the only thing you mean by locking up?

If it was "caused" by other updates then I wouldn't blame it specifically on 10.12.4. If it is "fixed" temporarily by forcing a restart, go an Apple store and ask them to look at what they call the IPD cable. I have the 2015 model and apparently it can be the cause for intermittent keyboard and trackpad functionality loss. They basically told me the keyboard connects to the trackpad, which in turn connects both to the rest of the computer with this IPD cable.

dmlevine5591

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2016
I meant he mouse and keyboard, but the whole computer also freezes. By locking up I mean the track pad will not move the mouse and also loses its force touch. This will happen intermittently during the day not using anything specific.

jmd.au

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Queensland, Australia
I'm having the exact same issues with my MacBook Pro after 10.12.4. It seemed to have been good in 10.12.3 and 10.12.2 (but back in 10.12.1). It appears to be a similar issue that was discussed here and here, and seems to be related to GPU acceleration in certain apps (Safari, the Adobe Creative Cloud applications, some games).

Resetting NVRAM and SMC does not fix the problem. Anyone who is experiencing this bug should submit feedback to Apple so we can try to get a real fix on this: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Reactions: dmlevine5591
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.