Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

depmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2023
Hello my friends.i'm going to buy a macbook for software development,school,daily work.I also want to start unity course in summer and develop a game.Is macbook air (16gb ram 512gb ssd) enough for all this work? or should i get macbook pro 14 base model (10cpu 16gpu 16gb ram 512gb ssd).The computer I will buy should last me for at least 5 years.(maybe 4).
I don't know anything about macbooks.I would be very grateful if you could explain your answers.Also, if you have a question, you can ask it.
(ı'm software engineer student.)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
The M2 is absolutely more than enough for that kind of work. I have one and I'm a full time software developer who also does game development, vfx, video editing, and music creation as a hobby. The m2 air blew me away as far as capability. It also runs games well too.

Now, if you're using this primarily as a laptop you may want the pro just for the bit of larger screen, but you will be hauling it around everyday and the pro is significantly heavier. I use my air mostly hooked up to an external at my desk and with an iPad Pro 11 inch as a secondary display when I travel.

If it were me and I were taking it a lot of places I would go with the air (with the upgraded GPU). If you're going to use it mostly at a desk OR if you're going to use mostly just the laptop screen I would go the Pro.

Honestly you can't go wrong either way.

Reactions: depmen

depmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2023
The M2 is absolutely more than enough for that kind of work. I have one and I'm a full time software developer who also does game development, vfx, video editing, and music creation as a hobby. The m2 air blew me away as far as capability. It also runs games well too.

Now, if you're using this primarily as a laptop you may want the pro just for the bit of larger screen, but you will be hauling it around everyday and the pro is significantly heavier. I use my air mostly hooked up to an external at my desk and with an iPad Pro 11 inch as a secondary display when I travel.

If it were me and I were taking it a lot of places I would go with the air (with the upgraded GPU). If you're going to use it mostly at a desk OR if you're going to use mostly just the laptop screen I would go the Pro.

Honestly you can't go wrong either way.
I didn't know you can play games with macbook air :D .I'm currently using a 2.5 kg gaming laptop, believe me 200gr won't be a problem for me.They say 10gpu is unnecessary for air.The price is important to me here, since my heart is fanless (which means dust won't be able to get into it :) ) it says air, but when I bought it, I want something durable.if pro is really unnecessary i choose air but today i went to a tech store and they told me i have to choose pro.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I didn't know you can play games with macbook air :D .I'm currently using a 2.5 kg gaming laptop, believe me 200gr won't be a problem for me.They say 10gpu is unnecessary for air.The price is important to me here, since my heart is fanless (which means dust won't be able to get into it :) ) it says air, but when I bought it, I want something durable.if pro is really unnecessary i choose air but today i went to a tech store and they told me i have to choose pro.
>i went to a tech store and they told me i have to choose pro.

I hate to sound like a "me vs them" but it sounds like the tech store doesn't know what they're talking about and honestly, most tech store associates don't (I worked at both a Circuit City and a Best Buy in my lifetime). I mean the choice is ultimately up to you but some software I've ran just fine on my air include but are not limited to:

-Houdini (a high end visual effects software that specializes in complex simulations)
-Blender
-Zbrush
-Final Cut (working with 4k video)
-Logic (I had 24 tracks loaded without any kind of slowdown and could have likely added more but I got bored adding tracks)
-Motion (I forget what all I had going in Motion but it was a ton of effects without any slowdown)
-Unity
-Godot
-Affinity Suite
-Xcode
-VSCode
-Various games, mostly Final Fantasy 14.

The laptop never once got warm.

And I'm sure there's others I've missed. The M2 air is an absolute powerhouse and if price and being fanless is important the air just fits the bill better.

Again, not to sound like me vs them but I've worked in electronics retail before and I know how they're trained. I also spent over a decade working in enterprise IT before switching to software development for another 10 years. I ordered my air more out of curiosity, fully expecting to return it and wait for the M2 pro and was utterly blown away by it's capability. It puts my fully specced (including 64 gigs ram) intel I9 16" MacBook Pro I bought in 2019 to shame.

• Wow
Reactions: depmen

depmen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2023
>i went to a tech store and they told me i have to choose pro.

I hate to sound like a "me vs them" but it sounds like the tech store doesn't know what they're talking about and honestly, most tech store associates don't (I worked at both a Circuit City and a Best Buy in my lifetime). I mean the choice is ultimately up to you but some software I've ran just fine on my air include but are not limited to:

-Houdini (a high end visual effects software that specializes in complex simulations)
-Blender
-Zbrush
-Final Cut (working with 4k video)
-Logic (I had 24 tracks loaded without any kind of slowdown and could have likely added more but I got bored adding tracks)
-Motion (I forget what all I had going in Motion but it was a ton of effects without any slowdown)
-Unity
-Godot
-Affinity Suite
-Xcode
-VSCode
-Various games, mostly Final Fantasy 14.

The laptop never once got warm.

And I'm sure there's others I've missed. The M2 air is an absolute powerhouse and if price and being fanless is important the air just fits the bill better.

Again, not to sound like me vs them but I've worked in electronics retail before and I know how they're trained. I also spent over a decade working in enterprise IT before switching to software development for another 10 years. I ordered my air more out of curiosity, fully expecting to return it and wait for the M2 pro and was utterly blown away by it's capability. It puts my fully specced (including 64 gigs ram) intel I9 16" MacBook Pro I bought in 2019 to shame.
macbook air is even more powerful than i thought :O .So does macbook air dead by daylight run games like hoi4 and minecraft? ( my little sister sometimes wants to play these games :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.