Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj95

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
I have a 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro, the Radeon M9 370x model. If anyone has any expertise with the below I’d be very grateful for help! Please see all facts and testing so far:

• It started turning off to a black screen with the fans high.
  • When it rebooted it would give an error log, panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7fa5963fb7): GPU Panic: mux-regs 2 0 a0 bb 0 8 severity 3 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 3 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 power-retry 1 connect-change 0 : AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED with 1 reset, VendorID invalid
  • Now it won’t display anything at all on boot, just a blank screen
  • The computer is booting and functioning. The fans spin, the keyboard backlight comes on, if I enter my password I can login. Handoff with iPhone calls works and rings on the laptop and the speakers work.
  • Very occasionally the screen does work, it will show for a short time before turning off.
  • If the screen does work, sometimes the machine will get half way booted and turn off
  • If it does turn on, it does not recognise the dGPU in the system info.
  • No external monitors work.
  • Sometimes I can shine a light through the apple logo and see the screen. This made me think the screen was broken. However as above sometimes it does turn on fully
  • It is also weird no external monitors are detected, so I don’t think it is the screen that is broken but something to do with the GPU
Is there ANYTHING I can do to try and fix this, or do I need to try and source another logic board?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro, the Radeon M9 370x model. If anyone has any expertise with the below I’d be very grateful for help! Please see all facts and testing so far:

• It started turning off to a black screen with the fans high.
  • When it rebooted it would give an error log, panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7fa5963fb7): GPU Panic: mux-regs 2 0 a0 bb 0 8 severity 3 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 3 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 power-retry 1 connect-change 0 : AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED with 1 reset, VendorID invalid
  • Now it won’t display anything at all on boot, just a blank screen
  • The computer is booting and functioning. The fans spin, the keyboard backlight comes on, if I enter my password I can login. Handoff with iPhone calls works and rings on the laptop and the speakers work.
  • Very occasionally the screen does work, it will show for a short time before turning off.
  • If the screen does work, sometimes the machine will get half way booted and turn off
  • If it does turn on, it does not recognise the dGPU in the system info.
  • No external monitors work.
  • Sometimes I can shine a light through the apple logo and see the screen. This made me think the screen was broken. However as above sometimes it does turn on fully
  • It is also weird no external monitors are detected, so I don’t think it is the screen that is broken but something to do with the GPU
Is there ANYTHING I can do to try and fix this, or do I need to try and source another logic board?

External monitors run through the dGPU so it's likely the dGPU. I have the same model with the discrete GPU and I've not heard of reliability problems with it. These laptops are asking price $250 - $400 in my area.

https://nh.craigslist.org/sys/d/manchester-2015-macbook-pro-15inch/7515329426.html ($250 in New Hampshire).

You might consider replacing it with an M1 MacBook Air as that model smokes the 2015 in performance, battery life and running cool and quiet. I use the 2015 MacBook Pro as my backup laptop. It's currently serving as a monitor for my M1 mini via Airplay day-to-day.

kibepo73

Suspended
Jun 2, 2022
A MacBook or MacBook Pro sometime can be stuck on a Black screen and become unresponsive. There can be various reasons for this issue such as:

1. Display issue
2. Battery issue
3. Software/App causing the error
4. Broken Disk permission
5. macOS incompatibility

However, to fix the issue, you can try the below methods:

1. Check the power
2. Restart the MacBook system
3. Reset the PRAM/NVRAM
4. Reset the SMC
5. Reinstall the macOS

Hope it helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.