Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dthrys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
Hello!

I got a MacBook Pro (15", 2017 model) which is only a couple of months old.
Today I noticed something about the trackpad, and I want to ask you guys whether this is a normal thing - because to me it sure does not sound normal.

Problem: only when I tap the trackpad a bit harder than actually required for it to register a click, a certain area (mostly the center, and the upper left area partly as well) creates a really odd sound. I don't even quite know how to describe it, but it really does sound completely different than the other areas of the trackpad and to my ears something just sounds broken. I would say tapping the other parts creates more of a dull, flat sound, but that one area sound like as if you are tapping a hollow glass or metal bowl or something?​

I have no idea whether that issue was always there or not, because I always use the trackpad with minimal force and I perhaps just happened to tap it harder today. Please note though that I am not slamming the trackpad or anything when I am able to reproduce the sound.

So basically it does not influence the performance of the trackpad, neither the sound of it unless I tap it harder than I usually do.
However, I was just wondering if I should be worried? Is this normal? Can it create more issues in the long run?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello!

I got a MacBook Pro (15", 2017 model) which is only a couple of months old.
Today I noticed something about the trackpad, and I want to ask you guys whether this is a normal thing - because to me it sure does not sound normal.

Problem: only when I tap the trackpad a bit harder than actually required for it to register a click, a certain area (mostly the center, and the upper left area partly as well) creates a really odd sound. I don't even quite know how to describe it, but it really does sound completely different than the other areas of the trackpad and to my ears something just sounds broken. I would say tapping the other parts creates more of a dull, flat sound, but that one area sound like as if you are tapping a hollow glass or metal bowl or something?​

I have no idea whether that issue was always there or not, because I always use the trackpad with minimal force and I perhaps just happened to tap it harder today. Please note though that I am not slamming the trackpad or anything when I am able to reproduce the sound.

So basically it does not influence the performance of the trackpad, neither the sound of it unless I tap it harder than I usually do.
However, I was just wondering if I should be worried? Is this normal? Can it create more issues in the long run?

Are you so getting haptic feedback normal?? If so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.